• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PSVita Why the new PS Vita exists

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in

lights

Staff member
Mika Nagae, head of the PCH-2000 design project at SCE:
"This project got its start out of an effort to make the current PS Vita thinner and lighter, attracting more gamers without affecting the game experience," Nagae told Famitsu magazine. "In addition to people who're already using PS Vitas, we were also targeting new users here. The design plan for this has been around since just after the launch of the current Vita, but real development didn't begin until the spring of 2012."

One immediately obvious trait of the new Vita: The six colors, including sky-blue and Lisa Frank pink, it'll be available in for the Oct. 10 launch. "The current Vita presents this sort of high-class look with its coloring," Nagae explained, "but we wanted the new Vita to be accessible by anyone, regardless of age or gender. So I discussed things with the designers, trying to come up with casual, yet fresh and unique colors we could use. The colors have been pretty basic up to now, but the new Vita is trying to change that image by taking a different approach to coloring."

Most of the PCH-2000's major changes are external in nature, but there are a few improvements under the cover as well, such as the 1GB of internal memory the system now comes with. "This was the result of us really wanting users to be able to start running the system immediately," Nagae said. "Of course, in order to help users enjoy larger-sized content more easily, we lowered the price of PS Vita-specific memory cards on Sept. 10, and we'll be releasing a 64GB memory card on Oct. 10. The shape of the buttons has changed as well; the buttons jut out a bit more, making them easier to push and control."

Sony claims that the battery lasts about an hour longer, too. "This was something we worked on," Nagae said. "In addition, the speaker holes have also been rearranged into this kind of flower shape which I, at least, think is cute. Of course, the weight and fit of the system is still suited for gameplay, and it still feels the same as before to control. It's something that I hope people can try out for themselves."

scwiffy

As expected

Targeted more at younger gamers, female gamers and casual gamers.

Im more than happy with my "high class" look

Yanikun

Why didn't they introduce those new "casual, fresh and unique colors" on the current model?
How does the system being lighter and thinner make it "accessible by anyone, regardless of age or gender"?
... Why did they feel a new model supposed to attract a broader audience should be released two days before Pokemon?

Seriously, I don't see much of a point to this model. Instead of just making it thinner and lighter, why not make it smaller, more portable, with a slightly smaller screen, to differentiate it more? Why in the hell did they choose that mind-boggling release date? To me they just wasted a big opportunity with this revision. It'll be at the very least a year before they have another chance to boost Vita sales by introducing a new model.

Murphy

Why didn't they introduce those new "casual, fresh and unique colors" on the current model?
How does the system being lighter and thinner make it "accessible by anyone, regardless of age or gender"?
... Why did they feel a new model supposed to attract a broader audience should be released two days before Pokemon?

Seriously, I don't see much of a point to this model. Instead of just making it thinner and lighter, why not make it smaller, more portable, with a slightly smaller screen, to differentiate it more? Why in the hell did they choose that mind-boggling release date? To me they just wasted a big opportunity with this revision. It'll be at the very least a year before they have another chance to boost Vita sales by introducing a new model.
Not in western markets. Europe got the E series PSP a few months before the Vita came out, it certainly is feasible that a new model could be region specific, and that a potential western redesign could be an altogether different animal.

scwiffy

My sentiments exactly.

Yanikun

Not in western markets. Europe got the E series PSP a few months before the Vita came out, it certainly is feasible that a new model could be region specific, and that a potential western redesign could be an altogether different animal.

I'm not sure what you mean? Of course a model can be region-specific, but you'll never see, in the same region, two different current-gen models within six months of each other. A last-gen system and a next-gen system can be (and often are) released close to each other if the former is meant to appeal to the late majority and the latter to innovators.

MetaMorphy

I do hope this exact model will be sold in the West.
Same.

I don't get why people are calling it more casual besides the colors, that is about as casual friendly as it gets. Its the same shape basically, almost the same size just thinner, nothing really too different about it. Its even basically the same price, no one really knows how it will be priced outside of Japan right now.

I actually like it more because it reminds me of the PSP, some may disagree but the current one is too edgy for me even if that means "high class". I like the more rounded look, still would kill for a purple one of these though :(.

PsychoDon904

Increase the internal storage to at least a 4 - 8gb and maybe it will attract more non vita owners that wants to get one, but can't afford the overpriced big cards right away. 1gb is total garbage especially if you bought a retail game (Declassified for example) and it has a huge update that pretty much ate up such a small internal space.

MetaMorphy

Increase the internal storage to at least a 4 - 8gb and maybe it will attract more non vita owners that wants to get one, but can't afford the overpriced big cards right away. 1gb is total garbage especially if you bought a retail game (Declassified for example) and it has a huge update that pretty much ate up such a small internal space.
Id imagine the cards are going to be pretty reasonably priced now. Seeing as the 64GB is around $100, one can assume the others with get a drastic drop once that releases outside of Japan.

RTRSPCT

Same.

I don't get why people are calling it more casual besides the colors, that is about as casual friendly as it gets. Its the same shape basically, almost the same size just thinner, nothing really too different about it. Its even basically the same price, no one really knows how it will be priced outside of Japan right now.

I actually like it more because it reminds me of the PSP, some may disagree but the current one is too edgy for me even if that means "high class". I like the more rounded look, still would kill for a purple one of these though :(.

Me neither. And I agree with what you've said.

I made a summery of the benefits of the new model in another thread:

-No more mura-effect
-Longer lasting display
-Better playable outside
-Far lesser chance of burn-ins
-Better grip on both sides
-Pressable start and select buttons
-PS Vita Card indicator on a more logical place

If it does look comparable using my own two eyes, it's absolutely for the better...

Caleb

They should wait to release it, and release it alongside a BIG game, if they have any in the pipeline no one knows about. October is horrid timing.

DuhWhitePanda

Gaming illumiNaughty

How does making it smaller, more portable or with a smaller screen make it more accessible, especially in Japan. Everyone, male or female carries a bag. Thus the size of the console really makes no difference to them and making the screen smaller, to me, is just a turn off. The colours will be more appealing to children who flock to something because of its look, dumb sheep. Also, even thought not mentioned, changing the screen to LCD lowers production cost, thus lowers price, thus puts the Vita into the hands of more consumers who don't want to pay PS4 prices for a handheld with all the needed accessories for extended game play.

Personally, I wont be buying one unless my 3 current Vitas crap out on me, but I can see how a lower end model hand held and Vita TV can make the Vita more accessible to people. Now Sony needs to push some games that aren't ports and aren't indie.

Josuey_de_PR

by making people think that the new model is better and has more colors,giving them the idea that its the time to buy a vita now that it has a redesign, its also a bit cheaper i think, and releasing it two days before pokemon does not affect it in any way, parents who will buy their kids pokemon will buy pokemon regardless, the people who will buy vita will buy a vita regardless, and obviously to try to compete with nintendo, your acting as if pokemon stops time or something,and yes i have seen release day lines for it back in the day with the DS but seriously, not everyone is into that thing.

MetaMorphy

They should wait to release it, and release it alongside a BIG game, if they have any in the pipeline no one knows about. October is horrid timing.
Is Tearaway a small title? I know I am excited for it. Doesn't come out until November 5th in Japan I think which is shortly after October, seems like perfect timing to me. If Tearaway doesn't do good in Japan I would be very surprised.

DuhWhitePanda

Gaming illumiNaughty
I don't hear many people in their 20's talking about Tearaway. Killzone would have been the last big name title for Vita. Next one, on the list of most people I know, is the Final Fantasy remakes.

Caleb

Is Tearaway a small title? I know I am excited for it. Doesn't come out until November 5th in Japan I think which is shortly after October, seems like perfect timing to me. If Tearaway doesn't do good in Japan I would be very surprised.
Tearaway would've been okay, I assume except the fact the PS4 and Xbox One release at the same time. Maybe Borderlands 2, or the FF games.

matrixxGT

Yeah we'll bring this is a new redesigned Pokemon that may change. But I fail to see how that makes any difference. It's not like the vita will be on sale for two days and then disappear. Surprisingly believe it or not people do buy games and systems way after their initial release.

If you already have a vita the only thing you should be looking at is vita TV. This new model is okay and I like the matte colors, but not enough to trade mine in. I actually have given it a lot of thought though. Until we hear about a west release and price it's really all pointless at the moment because that is the market vita needs help with.

MetaMorphy

Tearaway would've been okay, I assume except the fact the PS4 and Xbox One release at the same time. Maybe Borderlands 2, or the FF games.
Are you getting Japan, NA and EU confused? The PS4 releases in NA and EU in November, Japan is not getting it until February of 2014. So the PS4 releasing has no effect on them purchasing this new Vita in October and this new Vita isn't releasing here yet so it won't bother people buying Xbox One's or PS4's here. The Xbox One won't release in Japan until 2014 also, so again these new consoles aren't even on their radar this year to affect this new PS Vita's sales. As if the Xbox One would even if it was releasing in November in Japan. If anyone hasn't noticed Japan doesn't care too much about consoles like we do in other places.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements