• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PS4 Street Fighter V

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in
Thread starter #1

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Name: Street Fighter V
Release Date: February 16, 2016
Genre: Fighting Game
Developer: Capcom
Publisher: Capcom

Street Fighter V is the 5th major iteration in the Street Fighter series. Sony acquired the console exclusivity rights to the title. This means Street Fighter 5 is coming exclusively to PS4 & PC...

SFV World Reveal Trailer:

Nash Reveal Trailer:

M. Bison Reveal Trailer:

Thread starter #4

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
New trailer(s) reveals playable characters in Street Fighter V...

Ken Trailer:

Necalli Trailer:

Vega Trailer:

Thread starter #5

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Capcom continues to reveal characters left and right...

First up, Zangief!

Second up, Karin!

Third up, Laura!

Thread starter #6

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
During "Paris Games Week" in Paris, France, Yoshinori Ono revealed the release date, [a new trailer with] Dhalsim, and 6 DLC characters to follow the release of Street Fighter V...

Street Fighter V now has a release date of February 16, 2016...

Thread starter #7

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
New Character revealed at PSX 2015!

The post-launch characters are:

- Alex
- Guile
- Balrog
- Ibuki
- Juri
- Urien

They're free, but they're obtainable through Season Pass.

This means Street Fighter 5 is coming exclusively to PS4 & PC
The first time it will be on the PC too which is great. Well what I mean by that is it's not going to be a Windows exclusive either. There is going to be a Linux version. :) Might not have happened if Microsoft put money down on it. Being as PS3/4 uses a modified version of OpenGL ES, porting is likely much easier to standard OpenGL.

As for this game it looks cool and I hope Capcom doesn't DLC it up as much. You mentioned the Season Pass so may just maybe that SP will travel far. Not just say those characters and you're expected to buy more individually. Because I plan to grab this game and play on my Arch Linux machine. (I always dislike when a expensive Season Pass for like 25USD runs out after like three or four small pieces of content).

Thread starter #10

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
The first time it will be on the PC too which is great. Well what I mean by that is it's not going to be a Windows exclusive either. There is going to be a Linux version. :) Might not have happened if Microsoft put money down on it. Being as PS3/4 uses a modified version of OpenGL ES, porting is likely much easier to standard OpenGL.
We don't know that very well. Was Street Fighter 4 the same way? If so, then we'll see the same result here.
As for this game it looks cool and I hope Capcom doesn't DLC it up as much. You mentioned the Season Pass so may just maybe that SP will travel far. Not just say those characters and you're expected to buy more individually. Because I plan to grab this game and play on my Arch Linux machine. (I always dislike when a expensive Season Pass for like 25USD runs out after like three or four small pieces of content).
They will DLC it up as much... If you look at previous history, Street Fighter 4 had a lot of DLC, and pissed off a lot of people. However, they're taking the "slowly, but surely" route with DLC. SP stuff will be released about 3 months after the release of SF5, which by June it will have already been released. DLC won't be individually "bought." It's part of Season Pass. Ono jumped the gun by saying it's "free" at the PSX2015 Press Conference. It won't be free, it's just going to be part of Season Pass, but you'll have to pay for Season Pass, that's the whole point. It's kind of like Arkham Knight, where [some] DLC is free, but you have to download them, have a voucher, pre-order, or get them from PSN/XBL down the road. There was really no point in having them be free and downloadable.

Thing is, no matter how slow they are with DLC this time around, there will be hackers who will look through files and leak the DLC ahead of time. It's stupid witch hunt, but it happens.

We don't know that very well. Was Street Fighter 4 the same way? If so, then we'll see the same result here.
It is using UE4 as an engine that has Linux support, PS3/4 uses a modified OpenGL ES, and Capcom has plastered it all over their website and Steam. I would say it is pretty safe to say it is coming to Linux quiet smoothly. Specially when they stated they were working with Valve.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/street_fighter/blog/2015/12/17/announcing-steam-os-support-for-sfv
http://steamcommunity.com/games/310950/announcements/detail/764848484218116071

It may say Steam OS, but Steam OS is Linux. It is Valves distro based off Debian. Which means it works on other Linux distros without anything special. Because Steam OS in a nutshell is basically the blank slate distro that doesn't go beyond what is packaged in mainstream distros. In fact Valve has a policy where if a game has the Steam OS icon it needs to not require other packages and/or require a launcher. Valve removed a boat load of titles Steam OS icons a while back because of that.

-They will DLC it up as much... If you look at previous history, Street Fighter 4 had a lot of DLC, and pissed off a lot of people.

-They're taking the "slowly, but surely" route with DLC. SP stuff will be released about 3 months after the release of SF5, which by June it will have already been released. DLC won't be individually "bought." It's part of Season Pass.

-Ono jumped the gun by saying it's "free" at the PSX2015 Press Conference. It won't be free, it's just going to be part of Season Pass, but you'll have to pay for Season Pass, that's the whole point.

-It's kind of like Arkham Knight, where [some] DLC is free, but you have to download them, have a voucher, pre-order, or get them from PSN/XBL down the road. There was really no point in having them be free and downloadable.

-Thing is, no matter how slow they are with DLC this time around, there will be hackers who will look through files and leak the DLC ahead of time. It's stupid witch hunt, but it happens.
-The problem with previous SF games was the annoying DLC. You had hundreds of skins and you had to filter through all that junk to find the better DLC. I call it junk mainly because I speak of it in terms of playing the previous games on Windows. When using a PC OS be it Windows or Linux most of these games are quiet modded for skins or silly little cosmetic things so that very type of DLC is junk.

-That sounds great to some extent. However, I am not one to trust Capcom when it comes to DLC. Nor do I trust any company to much. Specially when we are talking Season Passes. I have seen what I was talking in my previous post to many times.

-I think that is the older game right? I wouldn't know about the DLC situation personally on it. Heck I got those games as the GoTY editions through a Humble Bundle WB deal ages ago. Then got the latest one with my Nvidia graphics card. Non the less I am not a fan of pre-order or locked DLC. I am even more less of a fan of it when it is games that give you an advantage via PvP.

-I am not complaining about paying for a season pass. It is more on the principle of honoring that said pass with quality content. When you pay say 25USD for one and all you get is some silly little content that took them maybe a few days to complete or stuff that was already in the game I have a problem with it. Then after that X content is done with you're left with new content not honored by a season pass. This happens in a lot of titles and it's just a cheat more than a deal. Which is usually why I only by SP's through Steam sales on the cheap these days.

-Only if the DLC is in the game or in console terms on the disc. Which Capcom is known to do so yeah. Legitimate customers get cheated and piracy people do not. This happens or has happened a lot with forms of DRM just the same. As some silly people on the interwebs might say, "Stupid practices are stupid".

Thread starter #12

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
It is using UE4 as an engine that has Linux support, PS3/4 uses a modified OpenGL ES, and Capcom has plastered it all over their website and Steam. I would say it is pretty safe to say it is coming to Linux quiet smoothly. Specially when they stated they were working with Valve.

It may say Steam OS, but Steam OS is Linux. It is Valves distro based off Debian. Which means it works on other Linux distros without anything special. Because Steam OS in a nutshell is basically the blank slate distro that doesn't go beyond what is packaged in mainstream distros. In fact Valve has a policy where if a game has the Steam OS icon it needs to not require other packages and/or require a launcher. Valve removed a boat load of titles Steam OS icons a while back because of that.
I see. Interesting! :)
-The problem with previous SF games was the annoying DLC. You had hundreds of skins and you had to filter through all that junk to find the better DLC. I call it junk mainly because I speak of it in terms of playing the previous games on Windows. When using a PC OS be it Windows or Linux most of these games are quiet modded for skins or silly little cosmetic things so that very type of DLC is junk.
So, pretty much, what you hated was that - Capcom just threw a bunch of DLC's just as a money-grab. Most of the "extras" were stuff you didn't want, or don't care to use. I think this applies to everyone who saw the DLC's as a bad thing.
-I think that is the older game right? I wouldn't know about the DLC situation personally on it. Heck I got those games as the GoTY editions through a Humble Bundle WB deal ages ago. Then got the latest one with my Nvidia graphics card. Non the less I am not a fan of pre-order or locked DLC. I am even more less of a fan of it when it is games that give you an advantage via PvP.
Arkham Knight was released last June, whatchoo talkin' about? Not a fan of "pre-order" or locked DLC's, either. Mostly because 90% of the time, it gets "unlocked" about 3 to 6 months after release of the original game. See: Call of Duty's Pre-Order offers/Locked DLC's.
-I am not complaining about paying for a season pass. It is more on the principle of honoring that said pass with quality content. When you pay say 25USD for one and all you get is some silly little content that took them maybe a few days to complete or stuff that was already in the game I have a problem with it. Then after that X content is done with you're left with new content not honored by a season pass. This happens in a lot of titles and it's just a cheat more than a deal. Which is usually why I only by SP's through Steam sales on the cheap these days.
I agree with you. However, you should buy SP games when you want to, just don't buy the Season Pass for Anticipated Title X if you don't like the pricing and plans.
-Only if the DLC is in the game or in console terms on the disc. Which Capcom is known to do so yeah. Legitimate customers get cheated and piracy people do not. This happens or has happened a lot with forms of DRM just the same. As some silly people on the interwebs might say, "Stupid practices are stupid".
Well, they need money to fund development of the game. That's why Season Passes exists. Activision had extra maps laying around, and decided to experiment with this innovative new way to deliver new content: DLC's. Problem is, some (if not most) companies are looking for new ways to "pay themselves" through new business practices.

Most DLC delivery types has not been around until like, when Call of Duty [MW2] arrived. The most disappointing of them all is Free to Play. The market will get crazy with F2P games in the years to come. If you think today's market is crazy with F2P, you ain't seen nothing yet. Most companies are pushing for F2P these days, and it's only going to get worse. It will become increasingly confusing. Just confusing.

When developers finish a game, they don't get the money until the profit comes in. They get paid on weekly/monthly basis, but when a developer finishes their recent game, the profits pays for the rest of the dev contract.

So, pretty much, what you hated was that - Capcom just threw a bunch of DLC's just as a money-grab. Most of the "extras" were stuff you didn't want, or don't care to use. I think this applies to everyone who saw the DLC's as a bad things.
Yes and no. In the case of useless skin DLC on a PC OS it is just that useless. They should have just bundled it with the game or skipped that version for say Arcade or the higher re-released versions with a lot of that stuff in it. The thing about the computer market is people made their own custom skins free of charge and had the same skins completely free. Unless the people were new to Windows gaming no one bought cosmetic stuff. Which as I said was useless. Capcom would have probably been better off making new arenas because at least with arenas more people would likely purchase.

However the previous Windows exclusive SFIV had other horrid problems. One being it used the crappy GFW-L (Games for Windows - Live) service. It was a service in which they tried to force Xbox Live onto PC gamers. Which was buggy, hardly updated, convoluted to patch games, and you had to purchase DLC through a crappy Market Place application that required MS Points. Meaning it is possibly more cosmetic DLC will sell using Steamworks for SFV, but again if it is just as easy to mod and uses say Steam Workshop way less will likely purchase them. Because in the Workshop installing mods is as easy as hitting the subscribe button.

Arkham Knight was released last June, whatchoo talkin' about?
As I kind of hinted at in my previous post I was sort of unclear on the name. I have the previous games in the series from Humble Bundles WB bundle in the past. I never went through purchasing DLC for any of those games. As for the latest game I got a code for it with my Nvidia graphics card. It sits in my Steam account awaiting to be played. However, it was a very horrible port so I never bothered to play the latest Batman game on Windows. Plus I am waiting for the Linux port because that is coming this year. It was delayed due to the whole Windows poor release. (Also, I would rather support the Penguin team in this case if possible. ;))

Not a fan of "pre-order" or locked DLC's, either. Mostly because 90% of the time, it gets "unlocked" about 3 to 6 months after release of the original game. See: Call of Duty's Pre-Order offers/Locked DLC's.
I am not a big Call of Dookie person, but I can imagine. I have seen some of those pre-order prices too. Uggh, harden edition and all that other crap for older CoD games. I really laughed at the fact one of the older CoD games came with real night vision goggles. Because that is exactly what you need when playing a video game.

I agree with you. However, you should buy SP games when you want to, just don't buy the Season Pass for Anticipated Title X if you don't like the pricing and plans.
I do buy games with SP and just not buy the SP. If I didn't I wouldn't have bought games like Borderlands. BL2 and PreSequel both are Linux games too. :)

Well, they need money to fund development of the game. That's why Season Passes exists.
It's called Early Access. It happens all the time on PC OS's and Mac OS's. Buy the game early in Alpha stages and help the game grow into completion. Consoles should evolve into this concept to some degree I think. (I am in no way saying Early Access if perfect. It's just it has worked for quiet a few games).

Also there is plenty of games that got the funding through places like KickStarter. Season passes in my opinion and I am sure many others is quiet out dated at this point.

(KickStarter style funding would be my least favorite. Mainly due to the douche that runs Double Fine.
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...bit-of-a-mess-with-psychonauts-2-funding.6446)

Most DLC delivery types has not been around until like, when Call of Duty [MW2] arrived.
That would really depend on if you're talking console or personal computers. Not to say it hasn't evolved more, but a lot of DLC and DRM schemes have been around on PC's before consoles. Though, if I had to choose of delivery of content, I kind of miss the older days with expansion packs. It forced better content because not as many would drive to a store to buy rubbish on a disc.

The most disappointing of them all is Free to Play.
I do not own a PS4 so I can't comment on the state of F2P on it. However, I would strongly disagree if we are talking PC OS games. DOTA, LoL, TF2, and a handful of other games do show F2P can be good. All without having any pay to win crap in them.

The market will get crazy with F2P games in the years to come. If you think today's market is crazy with F2P, you ain't seen nothing yet. Most companies are pushing for F2P these days, and it's only going to get worse. It will become increasingly confusing. Just confusing.
Nope I don't think the F2P market is crazy and I honestly do not think the market is headed in that direction. All the so called triple A titles are becoming episodic (Look at a good handful of them and now the remake of FF7) and microtransactioned up (The newest MGS game, Mortal Kombat, now PayDay 2, and upcoming games like HomeFront). Triple A titles are becoming pay to continue style games and indie games are becoming the new normal in my way of seeing it.

When developers finish a game, they don't get the money until the profit comes in. They get paid on weekly/monthly basis, but when a developer finishes their recent game, the profits pays for the rest of the dev contract.
Again, that really depends on the DD or method of selling. Consoles are cluster-F's with stupid rules that can hinder the developer. Open platforms though like personal computers is a completely different thing. Developers and/or Publishers can sell their games directly from their websites and get greater cuts. Not only that, but GoG, Steam, and most other DD services don't have silly restrictions to the developer. I mean look at Xbox with making developers pay to patch a game. That sure doesn't help the paycheck.

Thread starter #14

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Yes and no. In the case of useless skin DLC on a PC OS it is just that useless. They should have just bundled it with the game or skipped that version for say Arcade or the higher re-released versions with a lot of that stuff in it. The thing about the computer market is people made their own custom skins free of charge and had the same skins completely free. Unless the people were new to Windows gaming no one bought cosmetic stuff. Which as I said was useless. Capcom would have probably been better off making new arenas because at least with arenas more people would likely purchase.
Ah. I see. :D
As I kind of hinted at in my previous post I was sort of unclear on the name. I have the previous games in the series from Humble Bundles WB bundle in the past. I never went through purchasing DLC for any of those games. As for the latest game I got a code for it with my Nvidia graphics card. It sits in my Steam account awaiting to be played. However, it was a very horrible port so I never bothered to play the latest Batman game on Windows. Plus I am waiting for the Linux port because that is coming this year. It was delayed due to the whole Windows poor release. (Also, I would rather support the Penguin team in this case if possible. ;))
I love the Arkham series - Arkham City was batshit awesome. So, hopefully you like Arkham Knight on Linux.
I am not a big Call of Dookie person, but I can imagine. I have seen some of those pre-order prices too. Uggh, harden edition and all that other crap for older CoD games. I really laughed at the fact one of the older CoD games came with real night vision goggles. Because that is exactly what you need when playing a video game.
I still buy Call of Duty games despite their flaws. I keep buying them hoping that Activision would smarten up, and they're getting better on making the games less, and less hacked.

The COD formula is fine, it's just that cheating in general has harmed the brand more than not. I can't get over the preconceived notion that kill was "bullshit" or someone is cheating. Force of habit, I guess - but I think it's the playerbase's fault for ruining the game as it was.

However, each time I buy a COD title, one of two things happens with "Pre-Order" bonuses. You buy the game, you get the NUK3TOWN voucher pamphlet or Activision decides to push NUK3TOWN into the official playlist 3 months after the release of BO3. So, those "Pre-Order" offers are bullshit marketing by Activision. I get that they're trying to please players, but c'mon. If you're going to make a "Pre-Order" bonus exclusive to a voucher, stick to your guns.
I do buy games with SP and just not buy the SP. If I didn't I wouldn't have bought games like Borderlands. BL2 and PreSequel both are Linux games too. :)
I absolutely, absolutely love Borderlands/2. :)
It's called Early Access. It happens all the time on PC OS's and Mac OS's. Buy the game early in Alpha stages and help the game grow into completion. Consoles should evolve into this concept to some degree I think. (I am in no way saying Early Access if perfect. It's just it has worked for quiet a few games).
Oh, you mean like EA Early Access? Where you have to pay to own a "Season Pass"? I can't begin to tell you how stupid that was. Both Origins and EA Early Access are bad decisions. I get that they're trying to make money by offering you "Early Access" to games you're anticipating, but it's actually the Origins of Xbox Live or PSN, because the whole point of Origins or Early Access is to pay for server upkeep.

And we're seeing more alpha and beta, closed alpha and closed beta versions of games the month before the game is released. The Division for example is having a beta ongoing across Xbox One, PS4, and PC.
Also there is plenty of games that got the funding through places like KickStarter. Season passes in my opinion and I am sure many others is quiet out dated at this point.

(KickStarter style funding would be my least favorite. Mainly due to the douche that runs Double Fine.
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...bit-of-a-mess-with-psychonauts-2-funding.6446)

That would really depend on if you're talking console or personal computers. Not to say it hasn't evolved more, but a lot of DLC and DRM schemes have been around on PC's before consoles. Though, if I had to choose of delivery of content, I kind of miss the older days with expansion packs. It forced better content because not as many would drive to a store to buy rubbish on a disc.
Most users on Kickstarter or any crowdfunding websites like KS are sue-happy. The makers of Oculus Rift was sued by the "investors" of the kickstarter. Just because it was acquired by Facebook, and the whole John Carmack controversy.

For those of you who don't know: John Carmack is the creator of Doom.

I want to make a video game, so sites like Kickstarter has great potential, I agree... but there is the dark side of it. You're not actually buying "stock" into a company or a team or a person (as KS implies or infers). You're exchanging YOUR money for a "benefit" and then some profit.
I do not own a PS4 so I can't comment on the state of F2P on it. However, I would strongly disagree if we are talking PC OS games. DOTA, LoL, TF2, and a handful of other games do show F2P can be good. All without having any pay to win crap in them.

Nope I don't think the F2P market is crazy and I honestly do not think the market is headed in that direction.
F2P from what I understand, started in the MMO genre. But it's spreading into other genres, and other platforms. Killer Instinct is now F2P with a touch of Pay to Continue as you mentioned below. It's gone so far, to reach Mobile Gaming with smash hits like Clash of Clans. Sooo, yeah. It's going crazy. I do not want to see this become a standard in gaming. I want gaming to remain as it was before, with Season Passes.

And then, Mobile Gaming is disrupting the traditional Gaming consoles we see now because more and more developers think "Okay, we can put F2P into this video game." (You get the idea.)
All the so called triple A titles are becoming episodic (Look at a good handful of them and now the remake of FF7) and microtransactioned up (The newest MGS game, Mortal Kombat, now PayDay 2, and upcoming games like HomeFront). Triple A titles are becoming pay to continue style games and indie games are becoming the new normal in my way of seeing it.
Again, that really depends on the DD or method of selling. Consoles are cluster-F's with stupid rules that can hinder the developer. Open platforms though like personal computers is a completely different thing. Developers and/or Publishers can sell their games directly from their websites and get greater cuts. Not only that, but GoG, Steam, and most other DD services don't have silly restrictions to the developer. I mean look at Xbox with making developers pay to patch a game. That sure doesn't help the paycheck.

I still buy Call of Duty games despite their flaws. I keep buying them hoping that Activision would smarten up, and they're getting better on making the games less, and less hacked.
I would say the cheating thing is sort of a two way street. The online service should be detecting such code along more so than the game. If Valve can pull it off decently enough with VAC you would think Sony and Microsoft could pull it off one way or another. On most Steamworks titles you only see cheating on servers with VAC protection disabled which is listed in the game server list before you enter it. Only idiots cheat on VAC games because they loose access to playing that game online otherwise. There is sadly idiots that do it still too like on any platform. They get public shame on their accounts marked with "Vac Bans on record" so you can avoid them too.

Oh, you mean like EA Early Access? Where you have to pay to own a "Season Pass"?
Nope, and I couldn't comment on that because I haven't bought an EA title in years. Not to mention I do not even use Origin on Windows or through Wine on Linux. From what I heard EA Access is pretty much a console exclusive thing, but EA has just recently tried something similar through Origin. At least from what I have read.

Steam does Early Access not as Season Passes. It is the actual game from alpha to completion. When you buy early you also tend to get a little bit of the ear of the developer. (Depending on the developer of course). Things tend to get fixed before the full release of the game. Once the game is complete you have the finished product already since you just payed for it early. (There are bad things to this too and some developers have abandoned some games. In some cases like this Valve will refund you).

Two quick & good examples of great Early Access games:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/211820/ (Keeps getting updated and has quiet the community).
http://store.steampowered.com/app/433340/ (Very popular polished out of the gate).

And we're seeing more alpha and beta, closed alpha and closed beta versions of games the month before the game is released. The Division for example is having a beta ongoing across Xbox One, PS4, and PC.
Unless they threw out keys for free I would say, The Division is closer to early access. Because from what I have seen through Steam the game only allows access to beta if you purchase the pre-order. Yet that still seems more like a pre-order bonus, because you're not exactly funding the game early while in the creation process.

F2P from what I understand, started in the MMO genre. But it's spreading into other genres, and other platforms.
I played tons of F2P games. Probably some of the first few even, because I use to MMORPG hop a lot. MMOHut and other places was like my hub for them.

As for the term F2P originally was just the game was free to play nothing attached and no payment. It wasn't just MMO games either, but MMO's were one of the most popular for it. Mainly due to the fact there robust nature I suppose. I am guilty of playing hundreds of hours in a few older games in the past myself. Bloody hell I am guilty of that in J/KRPG games too. I only have like 105 hours in the latest Tales of game playing on my Windows VM. :D

F2P MMO's started adding cash shops and usually were quiet fair. Later it got to pay to win kind of stuff in a lot, but usually that was quiet leveled out. Yet P2W term became popular and some where down the line people started deluding the term F2P as P2W.

Anyway, simply put when I hear F2P I don't instantly think of it like you do with paying involved.

And then, Mobile Gaming is disrupting the traditional Gaming consoles we see now because more and more developers think "Okay, we can put F2P into this video game." (You get the idea.)
Well I think it is almost time for you to buy a Steam Machine. :cool: Capcom is on board, Square Enix is getting on board with Tomb Raider getting a Linux version, and a handful of developers are starting to come over. It is a slow process and there are some problems early in, but meh if that is what console gaming is turning into Steam Machines would be the overall solution in the end. As people like to say, "Vote with your wallet".

Thread starter #16

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
New trailer of Street Fighter 5 released...
I would say the cheating thing is sort of a two way street. The online service should be detecting such code along more so than the game. If Valve can pull it off decently enough with VAC you would think Sony and Microsoft could pull it off one way or another. On most Steamworks titles you only see cheating on servers with VAC protection disabled which is listed in the game server list before you enter it. Only idiots cheat on VAC games because they loose access to playing that game online otherwise. There is sadly idiots that do it still too like on any platform. They get public shame on their accounts marked with "Vac Bans on record" so you can avoid them too.
Not everyone has the same expertise that Valve has with VAC-like anti-cheats. Activision's in-house companies including Treyarch has been actively working on anti-cheats, but not all companies have the resources to do what they do. Sony and Microsoft are trying their best to combat similar problems, but to no avail. In fact, Microsoft went so far to plug up leaks on XBL, and hardware accessories. Even that didn't stop the idiots from finding new ways to get around the bushes that Microsoft has set up for them.
Steam does Early Access not as Season Passes. It is the actual game from alpha to completion. When you buy early you also tend to get a little bit of the ear of the developer. (Depending on the developer of course). Things tend to get fixed before the full release of the game. Once the game is complete you have the finished product already since you just payed for it early. (There are bad things to this too and some developers have abandoned some games. In some cases like this Valve will refund you).

Two quick & good examples of great Early Access games:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/211820/ (Keeps getting updated and has quiet the community).
http://store.steampowered.com/app/433340/ (Very popular polished out of the gate).
Ah, I see now! :)
Unless they threw out keys for free I would say, The Division is closer to early access. Because from what I have seen through Steam the game only allows access to beta if you purchase the pre-order. Yet that still seems more like a pre-order bonus, because you're not exactly funding the game early while in the creation process.
Yes, there is a difference, but in general Betas are now commonplace than it was 3 years ago. Thanks to services like XBL, Steam, and PSN. :)
As for the term F2P originally was just the game was free to play nothing attached and no payment. It wasn't just MMO games either, but MMO's were one of the most popular for it. Mainly due to the fact there robust nature I suppose. I am guilty of playing hundreds of hours in a few older games in the past myself. Bloody hell I am guilty of that in J/KRPG games too. I only have like 105 hours in the latest Tales of game playing on my Windows VM. :D

F2P MMO's started adding cash shops and usually were quiet fair. Later it got to pay to win kind of stuff in a lot, but usually that was quiet leveled out. Yet P2W term became popular and some where down the line people started deluding the term F2P as P2W.

Anyway, simply put when I hear F2P I don't instantly think of it like you do with paying involved.
I do, and that's the problem. Some games are "no paywalls" and some games do it via shops like you said. Like Clash of Clans, the only way you get new Gems, is by buying the Gems with a paywall. Well, you can cut down trees, logs, trunks, and other minuscule objects, to get Gems, but if you want 200 Gems, you'll need to open your wallet.

Tekken Revolution allows you to play a character, and nothing else. The only way to get new characters, is to buy the character(s). Killer Instinct for Xbox is the same way. I mean, seriously, it's gotten so ridiculous lately for F2P.
Well I think it is almost time for you to buy a Steam Machine. :cool: Capcom is on board, Square Enix is getting on board with Tomb Raider getting a Linux version, and a handful of developers are starting to come over. It is a slow process and there are some problems early in, but meh if that is what console gaming is turning into Steam Machines would be the overall solution in the end. As people like to say, "Vote with your wallet".
I'm not liking what I see with Steam Machines - I like the concept of playing PC in your living room, I like the concept that it allows you to play virtually any game, I like the whole concept, but I think it'll be problematic down the road when bigger games become a norm. I will have to upgrade my Machines by buying a brand new Steam Machines. Since, there's no real good way to 'upgrade' in the PC sense.

New trailer of Street Fighter 5 released..
Nice and uggh I checked on Steam news about the game today and see the lovely, "Pre-order bonus" crap. Good news it seems to be only a skin, but still uggh. I guess this is the same with the console version...

Not everyone has the same expertise that Valve has with VAC-like anti-cheats.

Sony and Microsoft are trying their best to combat similar problems, but to no avail. In fact, Microsoft went so far to plug up leaks on XBL, and hardware accessories. Even that didn't stop the idiots from finding new ways to get around the bushes that Microsoft has set up for them.
I can't say for a fact that it's perfect as I have not tried to break it. Though it is actually a very basic means of detection or a bit extreme. The new GTA game for example used it to not allow mods or anything online. It basically just checks to see if anything beyond that game is being run...

I know Microsoft always checked to see if hardware changes were made to the console. Once detected in the 360 you could get the console banned within 24 hours. I can't say how good that works as I have never attempted to break or work around their system. However, I think if anyone at Microsoft has at least slight of a brain it has a fail safe. Microsoft already backdoors the heck out of Windows so I am sure they have there ways with the consoles. Even with a mod chip in place you don't exactly change the core OS all together.

Sony on the other hand never did much even on the PS3. I mean PSN only came about on PS3 and late at that. It was a complete afterthought. They were going to let the game developers run everything via their own master servers and what not. Anyway, if Sony is now taking a step in that direction that is good to hear.

Yes, there is a difference, but in general Betas are now commonplace than it was 3 years ago. Thanks to services like XBL, Steam, and PSN. :)
I can't speak on behalf of console betas really. However, on the PC Steam didn't really invent or speed up betas. I have beta tested games even back in the Windows 95 days. You just hit up the games site to register, they pick out of the list, grant access to download, and you play. Much more streamlined than further back than that when you had to get disks sent to you.

Also, as for Steam giving access to betas. Well it happens like with say Street Fighter if you bought it in a set time or you do an early access purchase. Though I can't say it is the home of beta. A lot of games still do the website thing. You might get a Steam key still, but not always because getting a game on Steam doesn't always just happen by itself.

I do, and that's the problem. Some games are "no paywalls" and some games do it via shops like you said. Like Clash of Clans, the only way you get new Gems, is by buying the Gems with a paywall. Well, you can cut down trees, logs, trunks, and other minuscule objects, to get Gems, but if you want 200 Gems, you'll need to open your wallet.

Tekken Revolution allows you to play a character, and nothing else. The only way to get new characters, is to buy the character(s). Killer Instinct for Xbox is the same way. I mean, seriously, it's gotten so ridiculous lately for F2P.
Wait so you're lumping in mobile games with consoles or is that also on consoles now? I don't tend to think F2P when talking about mobile games. Because none of them are really free unless it is some random genre outside of "Runners", "Puzzles", or "Town Defense". Heck that is really all Android, Windows, or Apple phone games are. Search Android for games beyond that is not a walk in the park either. Bloody hell is that flooded with those games as featured.

Yeah so P2W basically.

I'm not liking what I see with Steam Machines - I like the concept of playing PC in your living room, I like the concept that it allows you to play virtually any game, I like the whole concept, but I think it'll be problematic down the road when bigger games become a norm. I will have to upgrade my Machines by buying a brand new Steam Machines. Since, there's no real good way to 'upgrade' in the PC sense.
Which one are you looking at? The Alienware Alpha? Because as far as I know the Alienware Alpha is like the only one that is mildly locked down. It lets you change the CPU, but you can't change the GPU due to the GPU is soldered down to the motherboard. Yet that is to be expected, it uses a on-board Nvidia GPU, aka mobile graphics you would find in a laptop.

As for some of the others. Well they are just standard PC builds and not made to fit into a crazy designed mini-itx case. Meaning you can upgrade them to your hearts content. Mind you some of them are designed to be very compact so you may need extra time to get everything back all snug into place. A few good examples would be these.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353420/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/353510/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/353470/
The Scan has a case you can buy as it is a SilverStone case. It will not sport Scans logo though. (Example)
I am not sure what brand case the other two have, but I swear I have seen at least the Maingear case some where. Anyway, point being some of the Steam machine models should be really easy to upgrade.

Thread starter #18

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Wait so you're lumping in mobile games with consoles or is that also on consoles now? I don't tend to think F2P when talking about mobile games. Because none of them are really free unless it is some random genre outside of "Runners", "Puzzles", or "Town Defense". Heck that is really all Android, Windows, or Apple phone games are. Search Android for games beyond that is not a walk in the park either. Bloody hell is that flooded with those games as featured.

Yeah so P2W basically.
It's not just me that's lumping the mobile games into F2P/P2W, it's the companies' intent to bring over stuff from MMO's into other genres, and then into Mobile Gaming, and then back to popular games. It's like all companies are trying to force F2P games on the game industry as a standard to follow because they're hurting for money. Problem is, not only is it confusing, it's "industry-breaking," this pattern needs to stop. I am NOT going to pay for microtransactions. I stay far away from F2P games, with the exception of games like Clash of Clans or similar games, because they've got the right idea. Provide the game for free, and let the microtransactions be a selectable option. Not forced on you, like Tekken Revolutions or Killer Instinct Season [X].

It's not just me that's lumping the mobile games into F2P/P2W,
I wasn't exactly saying you were. I kind of was just replying to the one specific post at hand. I will admit I did not go back to get a complete refresher on everything said. Maybe some wires were crossed some where along the line due to that. If so my bad.

it's the companies' intent to bring over stuff from MMO's into other genres, and then into Mobile Gaming, and then back to popular games.
Not sure I completely follow as that seems kind of irrelevant how it is stated. Because everything borrows concepts from one thing or another. Even CoD borrows the leveling system from an MMORPG or standard RPG. (lol, it's hard to find many games that don't these days).

I will admin I haven't played a payed subscription MMO in a long time. Nor was I a WoW player so I can't comment from current game experience. Yet, I don't think they have pay to win or micro-transactions that hinder your gameplay. Not even F2P as in no paying to play have such things really. (Maybe a slight advantage if the games has a pay shop, but not all have that and it usually is just level faster junk for the most part). Anyway, what I am getting at is I don't see how you completely tie in MMO's to P2W or various other thing microtransaction games. (Maybe I am reading to much into that. I haven't sleep much today or should I say yesterday, lol).

It's like all companies are trying to force F2P games on the game industry as a standard to follow because they're hurting for money. Problem is, not only is it confusing, it's "industry-breaking," this pattern needs to stop.

I am NOT going to pay for microtransactions.
I wouldn't exactly say all these companies are hurting for the money. More like most just see it as another means of milking the customer. (It is amazing CoD doesn't have micro-transactions already at that. Because doesn't it already have P2W in some form? Because isn't there an option to buy weapons and levels faster already?)

I don't either. Also, I will not really pay for games with the such either. It kind of depends though. If the game is designed for really hindering you then yes it is a total skip. If it is stupid crap that wouldn't effect the outcome or me because I don't play multiplayer on it, then maybe a grab on major sell price. (For example, I only bought the latest MK game due to getting the premium edition for 5USD).

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements