• Destroy Repeat is the #1 place to talk about Video Games!
  1. Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PSVita Sony focusing on NGP, holding back PS4

Discussion in 'PlayStation' started by Chris, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

jeff_rigby posted at Beyond3D forum a translation of a japanese article from PC Watch.
    (source)

The translation is pretty rough. The article is essentially saying that we will have a long time to go until the PS4 and Sony's development focus will shift to the NGP. The integrity of the PS3 has been questioned after it was successfully hacked and Killzone 3 was leaked and this could be Sony's response to it.

Are you disappointed with this announcement? As much as I want the NGP to succeed, I still very much enjoy my PS3 and look forward to great games like Uncharted 3.

Update: After looking at this further, it seems they want to focus on the NGP and PS3, and form a relationship between those systems. Sony may be working on a hack proof PS3.

2. 32gamer

32gamer New Member

The PS3 has some great games coming out this year. From what we've heard about the NGP. It's fairly easy to develop games for both systems at the same time. I think it may be a good thing if the NGP receives more attention than the PS3. It is their newest system and they need to put it at the center if they want the NGP to become widely adopted.

3. Buckybuckster

Buckybuckster Well-Known Member

Eh..I wouldn't make to much of it. It's not like Sony to abandon their systems. Microsoft dropped support of the original Xbox almost a half year before the release of the 360. Even if the focus shifts to the NGP, I have no worries. There will be many great releases for PS3 for many years to come.

6 people like this.
  4. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not worried about the PS3. Did you hear that Sony is trying to release a new "hack-proof" model? http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1151243p1.html

I did read a story recently that said Sony's first party developers haven't been creating many PSP games in the last couple years (since 2008) because they have started to develop for the NGP. It said only 16 first party games have been released, which is the same number as the PSP's launch list.

4 people like this.
  5. Buckybuckster

Buckybuckster Well-Known Member

"Hack proof"....really??? I honestly don't think there's any device that can't be hacked. The only thing you can really do is to make it hard for them to crack the OS in hope that you can at least stall them for as long as possible. But eventually someone will be up to the challenge of the task. I wish Sony all of the best in their attempts, but in the end I'm sorry to say their efforts will be all for naught.

6. ZNARF<3VITA

ZNARF<3VITA Active Member

I certainly agree nothing is "HACK PROOF"

7. MunchumMuffuns

MunchumMuffuns New Member

They are really going to stress themselves out trying to make something that is hack-proof. The PS3, I hear is very hard to hack past the 3.55 firmware...they haven't had much success hacking past that firmware, unless you open your PS3 and do some complicated stuff, which only a few are willing to AND skilled enough to do.

I am glad that the PS4 isn't coming out soon. They need to focus on one new thing at a time and make that thing as great as they can for the consumers...like build up a great library and such. Nintendo isn't focusing on one thing at a time, and look at them...none of their current consoles have a decent library, not even their new disappointing 3DS, which I bought day 1, cause I was super excited, like I am now for the Vita. Thing has been out for almost a year, and they don't even have 5 decent titles that I want to get.

8. ZNARF<3VITA

I HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD OF THE 3DS BEFORE IT'S RELEASE

2 people like this.
  9. MOFO

MOFO Active Member

Your not missing much anyway :p
    PS3 still has a lot of life to it and with the VITA on it's way that's more than enough to get my gaming fix from SONY for next couple of years.
    There are a lot of great games coming out for the PS3 and many more that i haven't had the chance to play, while it's always great getting new hardware( beleive me I've spent way more money than I should have at times) i don't think SONY is in a rush to put out a PS4 becuase we don't really need it yet.
    Just my 2 cents, and if SONY did ever release a PS4 sooner than later i'd be one of the first in line.

10. apolloa

apolloa Active Member

I actually kind off plan for my VITA to replace my PS3 usage. I have a lot of games I can play through yet on my PS3 but since I got my 360 slim I have stuck to that console, in fact the 360 has a massive catalogue now too if I want to collect them. I think I will maybe only get the next Xbox? Not sure, it all depends on what they offer I guess? but for mobile gaming you cannot beat Sony IMO.
    Trouble is, a home console is a home console, a portable means gaming anywhere. I think it'll end up the same as last time. First the Wii U, then the next Xbox and a year later the PS4. But I do NOT want Sony to move resources from the VITA to the PS4 ad that's when it looses momentum.

11. Luuk.vanRiel

Luuk.vanRiel The Eternal Poster

I think they announce the PS4 just before their next fiscal year ends. So not before march next year. Then they set a release for a year later so that way lots of people allready have a Vita when PS4 gets released and due to immense cross gaming capabilities and stuff you the PS4 will hugely outsell the PS3's total number of sales in the first few months.
    They will just give the Vita a year to sell big time before they announce the PS4 because they wanna keep this immense flow of money after the Vita launches and put a lot of it in the PS4 so that one will be the biggest console when it releases and may even beat the newest average PC's.

12. ZNARF<3VITA

PS4 - PlayStation 4 - Leaked Launch Trailer

13. Luuk.vanRiel

shame though its fake :p

14. ZNARF<3VITA

good production though

3 people like this.
  15. apolloa

apolloa Active Member

That's a brilliant fake video :) but I am thinking, are Sony going to go virtual reality with the PS4? Their are some signs it might..

2 people like this.
  16. NewAgeOutLaw

NewAgeOutLaw Active Member

Next 5-10 god spares our lives I bet virtual gonna be the next big thing =D

17. Luuk.vanRiel

Yeah though seeing they are more and more starting to focus on casual gamers (while still keeping the core happy) they will probably make it optional like move.

18. awesomeness

awesomeness Well-Known Member

it gonna be freakin amazing and diff. and super innovative if they have to come over the awesome ps3!!!

more power to the system is not gonna bring many more people buy the ps4...there should be somethin that catches the eyes of everyone out there.......VIRTUAL REALITY????????!!!!!!!!

19. AKool28

AKool28 IVIaster IVIod

I really think it is good that Sony is more focused on the PSVita. It makes me feel like theyre taking it very seriously, and not already starting a new project:)

20. ZNARF<3VITA

here is a list of games from the vita page on fb

Products
    Games:
    Uncharted: Golden Abyss
    Call of Duty
    Street Fighter X Tekken
    Wipeout 2048
    Everybody’s Golf
    Assassin’s Creed
    Little Big Planet