• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Sony addresses PlayStation Network hack

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in
Thread starter #1

Chris

We have been discussing the hack in the everything playstation forum however Sony recently held a press conference on May 1st detailing the hack and addressing their solutions to the problem. They also briefly mentioned the NGP as they want to ensure potential customers to not be worried about future attacks. The hack just showed how fragile the system we have used extensively for several years has been and how inexcusable an event like this is for any company, especially Sony.

While the majority of the fault cannot be turned away from the hackers, Sony realizes they have made short comings in their security system. It will be interesting to see if the gamers will be accepting of a free gift in replacement for their lack of access to the PSN and potential credit fraud.

Below is part of Engadget's liveblog coverage of Sony's press conference on the PSN hack.
Yep, 30 day free PS Plus membership, 30 days of free service for Qriocity and Music Unlimited customers and a free gift of some software. Nice gesture.

We missed a bit there, but it sounds like they're planning to restore full network functionality within the month. Considering it's May 1st, that could be quite a wait.

"By the end of a week's time, we'd like to restart our services in order," says the translator. Sony expects there may financial impact of re-issuing credit cards, lost sales on PSN and Qriocity items, etc, but don't have concrete information on the impact yet.

It also took more time than Sony hoped to shut down parts of the PSN and to analyze the data, Kaz says.

Kaz is talking about how future devices, including the NGP, will rely on PSN in future. "We have to regain the trust and confidence of our users." Sony will try to achieve that by strengthening network services and communicating with users better from now on, he says.

Kaz suggests that users may be prompted to change PSN passwords more frequently in future.
Some were wondering how this would affect the NGP. According to Reuters, the security breach will not impact the NGP or the S1 or S2 tablets that Sony has recently announced.
A massive security breach on its PlayStation Network service will at this point not have an impact on its planned launch of tablet PCs and its Next Generation Portable (NGP) portable games device, the company said on Sunday.

Buckybuckster

It's a great gesture on the part of Sony, but I fear it will do little to quell the wave of class actions that are most likely going to be a part of their near future.

Thread starter #3

Chris

It's a great gesture on the part of Sony, but I fear it will do little to quell the wave of class actions that are most likely going to be a part of their near future.
I would never do anything like that unless the company did something on purpose and it seriously affected me. I beat portal 2 single player and co-op while PSN was offline. I was still able to use Netflix (even though Sony tries to make you login). I look forward to Plus membership (since I was considering it). Uncharted 3 beta is coming up in July so there is a chance they will offer it to everyone.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements