• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PSVita Shuhei Yoshida “doesn’t recommend” Importing the PS Vita

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in
Thread starter #1

equilibrium75

http://www.dualshockers.com/2011/09...rom-japan-promises-western-launch-dates-soon/

-

A few minutes ago the president of Sony Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida posted on twitter that he wouldn’t recommend importing the PS Vita from Japan.
According to Yoshida-san, there can be some minor nuisances due to playing western games on Japanese consoles, like the fact that the circle and the X buttons are inverted.
He also said that dates for the western launch will be announced soon:
Here’s the full transcript straight from the horse’s mouth:

There are people who are interested in importing the Japanese version of PS Vita from outside Japan, but I personally do not recommend that.”​
Then he promised to share a launch date for the western markets soon:

Sorry to make you wait a bit longer. We will update the launch dates outside Japan soon.”​
When asked to elaborate on the reason why he didn’t recommend it he explained:

Sorry I’m not explaining well, but from my experience owning both US and J game consoles of everything, there tend to be minor nuisances.”​
And then he explained further:

Like inconsistency between the use of x and o buttons between system software and games.”​
He also explained why the x and 0 buttons are in a different layout on Japanese PlayStation consoles:

It’s a legacy, but in Japan circle means “yes”, cross means “no”.”​

Mikaru

Yeah I just read this, and popped in a question of my own:

Lol, I didn't think he'd respond but he did. I love this guy. :p

For me personally I love "clicking" face buttons. It's just to make sure you're actually pressing a button. :D

Thread starter #6

equilibrium75

Yeah I just read this, and popped in a question of my own:

Lol, I didn't think he'd respond but he did. I love this guy. :p

For me personally I love "clicking" face buttons. It's just to make sure you're actually pressing a button. :D
just sent him a message. btw im following you(disfigured) now

psygn

My brother has his PSP set to Japanese language and it automatically swaps the two buttons. Are you telling me such a simple change can't be applied depending on language selected?!

I got used to the button switch when I started downloading Japanese demos. :p

What's really inconvenient about downloading the Japanese demos is the language...

He doesn't really seem to have a good reason. If he doesn't want us to import then he should release it as close as possible to the JPN release date.

psygn

On second thought, it may be the games themselves that swap the buttons (he plays games in Japanese... well, we're both half Japanese half white so I guess that's his excuse!).

Well the only if the software let's you swap buttons is the actual face buttons will look different. I can't see to many other problems since you can set which type of account you are using for PSN.

MadYakker

I've been reading a lot of people on twitter saying they're going to import a Vita instead of waiting for the worldwide release and a thought just occurred to me about the whole importing subject.

If a lot of people start importing Vitas and games from Japan thanks to it being region free how badly is that going to affect sales numbers in NA and EU?? It seems that if people start importing in really high numbers this could be a big problem for the other territories.

I've been reading a lot of people on twitter saying they're going to import a Vita instead of waiting for the worldwide release and a thought just occurred to me about the whole importing subject.

If a lot of people start importing Vitas and games from Japan thanks to it being region free how badly is that going to affect sales numbers in NA and EU?? It seems that if people start importing in really high numbers this could be a big problem for the other territories.
The impact will not be more that a few percent of each regions sales. Only the hardcore import, most regular consumers probably don't ever think about it.

that's what i hate about importing. i imported kingdom hearts bbs fm and it was to confirm with o. now every time i play a NA game i press O before X and i get all confused

jacob

I may be importing from America. ill save $100 on the console alone and about 20-30 bucks per game depending on game prices and the aussie dollar at the time.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements