• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PSVita PS2 on NGP?

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in
Thread starter #1
hey all, im a new member here and i decided to speak my mind........since i've always wanted to play ps2 games portably could we port PS2 games to NGP since the NGP is ''as powerful as a PS3'' this could be a very interesting possibility..... anywho i ll let you decide

thehunter01

Going to be incredible hard.

the only way to get this going ps2 emulation in ps2 quality level with a somewhat playable fps = when sony is adding hardware towards the NGP that relieves the NGP from emulation work.

If thats not going to happen, its going to be incredible difficult tho.

Programming for multicores on top of it isn't going to be easy on top of it.

The problem mainly is, that ps2 architecture is really different from what the PSP and NGP are.

ports are most likely tho, or downloadable hd remakes.

Still if ps2 emulation is possible, they will high likely demonstrate it at e3 themselfs ( specially if they added hardware for it ) or els it would be pointless for them.

Its going to be extremely difficult to get ps2 emulation running on the NGP tho. There will be attempts but they will be basically unplayable attempts or some really cheap simplistic working pacman games that could run a bit decent.

We will have to wait tho.

Thread starter #3
i wasnt really hoping for fps emulation.......the game i mainly want to play is Punisher...........the graphics and cinematics on that are fairly low end......still should be fun to see what those blessed hackers come up with :D

Chris

The NGP could play ps2 games since it has backwards compatibility with the ps3 but thats just my opinion;)
Part of it is the similarity of the architecture. The NGP should be more similar to the PS2 than the PS3 is since the NGP doesn't use the cell processor. For that reason it may be easier to port PS2 games to the NGP.

thehunter01

ps2 and ngp have absolute no similarity in architectures. the NGP isn't backwards compatible with the ps3. @ reymart that made absolute no sense

PS2 can only be emulated if they bother to place in additional hardware. but the main problem is going to be. but the parts that make the ps2 such a drama to emulate are only in really low amounts there ( 4mb ) and they will be a incredible hard solution to place enough of them inside the NGP to make up for a decent amount.

Lets not forget that its extremely expensive, and the board complexity is going to rise through the roof + the hardware is going to be on a entire different architecut in order to function right = making development more complex etc.
There is a reason why ps2 emulation isn't for free.

The only way to deal with it, is to emulate the hardware through software, which is going to require a truckton of power way beyond what the NGP is able off.

The only way its going to be doable = when sony decides to place the extra hardware inside the NGP. but thats more likely not going to happen then it is.

They could easily resell HD remastered version of the PS2 classics.

Sony even on top of it kinda placed out that they could do a more and wanted to do more with the NGP, but they needed to think about the price also, so the additional features got cut ( which they are is unknown )

but it could be possible that it was exactly that additional hardware for it.

Even if they would place out the extra hardware, the complexity of the board + development would be ennoying for a ton of developers. And make the device lesser appealing at the end + more expensive.

In other words, its not so simple.

jacob

Also technicly it wouldnt be backwards compatible. Backwards compatible means to be able to play the original, unmodified, games on a new console. like playing ps1 games on a ps2 etc etc.
So the NGP isnt really backwards compatible with anything as it cannot take UMD's from the original psp.

thehunter01

Also technicly it wouldnt be backwards compatible. Backwards compatible means to be able to play the original, unmodified, games on a new console. like playing ps1 games on a ps2 etc etc.
So the NGP isnt really backwards compatible with anything as it cannot take UMD's from the original psp.
The fact that NGP is able to emulate PSP games through loading digital versions which are released official also along side the UMD's makes it BC for ngp. as the games are not specifically redesigned for the NGP.

The PSP games do not need to be remade in order to be playable on the NGP, if this was the case then it wasn't BC with the PSP. Even while specific software isn't available in a digital way.

the NGP is able to play those PSP files through emulation as they stated on the conference.

If the games from a device are specifically created again for the NGP, that are only able to run on the NGP its not BC with it. Its rather remakes/ports. This means also goes for PS1 games.

But as PS1 games are the original files also, placed as digital software for other mediums, you can state that the NGP has BC with those games. As its able to play them without needed to alter it specifically for the platform other then emulating.

Basically the NGP = PSP / PS1 BC. Just not a full 100%. but its has BC with them.

I think this dude official aimed on BC with mini's etc or something. But the NGP hasn't any BC with the PS3 or something.

But anyway, ps3 BC doesn't exist really at this date and isn't going to happen for the NGP. unless the NGP is able to emulate ps3 games. Well thats not going to happen lol.

talhaa

I think that somehow hackers will find a way for us to play PS2 games on the NGP, or now called PlayStation Vita. I can already see the controls: L= L1, R= R1, right and left side of back touch pad = L2 and R2, then the D-pad, PlayStation buttons, and analog sticks.

jacob

i doubt that an emulation of a ps2 game on NGP would run at 100% speed. Im sure if it could be done sony would be on it. im hoping for emulation of other portable consoles and things like the SNES. i loved my psp because of its ability to emulate other consoles.

thehunter01

i doubt that an emulation of a ps2 game on NGP would run at 100% speed. Im sure if it could be done sony would be on it. im hoping for emulation of other portable consoles and things like the SNES. i loved my psp because of its ability to emulate other consoles.
If sony isn't adding additional hardware for it, its probably never going ot run anywhere near 100%. Maybe for select simplistic titles.

But thats it.

We will see tho.

Dark_AnNiaLatOr

If sony isn't adding additional hardware for it, its probably never going ot run anywhere near 100%. Maybe for select simplistic titles.

But thats it.

We will see tho.
I think it might be possible that sony has had ngp in mind when they were developing their ps2 hd collections, especially with the ZOE transfarring info that we have now. It all implies that there are going to be ps2 collections for ngp, probably the exact same ones on the ps3.

thehunter01

I think it might be possible that sony has had ngp in mind when they were developing their ps2 hd collections, especially with the ZOE transfarring info that we have now. It all implies that there are going to be ps2 collections for ngp, probably the exact same ones on the ps3.
Well the ngp architecture is incredible simple, they could just load the engine push the game into it and port it over in a really short time. then re-release it.

As the NGP has enough performance

we will see tho, i hope so.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements