• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PSVita NGP Touch Screen.

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in
Thread starter #1
So guys, TOUCH SCREEN on NGP, now I know that most systems or phones or anything else these days are most of the time touch screen but NGP? I know it might be cool for some games like little mini games but I dont know if it is really going to a big thing for a playstation portable I think playstation is just more ment for non-touch. But on the good side I acutally think this thing might be pretty cool for like climbing ropes!!! But in the end I think this thing might be a success. Tell what you guys think of this new touch screen!

And guys dont think I dont like this, becuase I am on both sides!​

Chris

So guys, TOUCH SCREEN on NGP, now I know that most systems or phones or anything else these days are most of the time touch screen but NGP? I know it might be cool for some games like little mini games but I dont know if it is really going to a big thing for a playstation portable I think playstation is just more ment for non-touch. But on the good side I acutally think this thing might be pretty cool for like climbing ropes!!! But in the end I think this thing might be a success. Tell what you guys think of this new touch screen!

I think now a days touch screen is needed. It gives the user much more control and in the NGP's case, we aren't loosing any control either. Touch screen resembles the PC interface more because can click on different locations on the screen. I'm more wondering how successful developers will be at making the rear touch pad work with their games. Btw, your on topic in the off topic forum. I'll move this to NGP Hardware/OS.

MOFO

Best part of the rear touchscreen is that your fingers dont get in the way. Thats one of the things that pissed me off with iOS games you couldnt see what is going becuse my big fat fingers blocked the screen.

talhaa

I agree with Chris's post. Nowadays touchscreen on devices is needed. I remember when the PSP Go was coming out everyone was complaining because of no touch screen. I'm happy that they put the touchscreen + touch pad on this device. :D

If its an option to use it in games I will pass.
Menu browsing is enough :)

Dont forget how a pain in the asssssssss it was to browse the net on the psp..

thehunter01

Touch screen is required for sony. If you look already at there suite solution. Its the thing that they wanna push. Xperia play is made around suite and probably a ipad clone will be announced any day to empower the suite aspect of there solution. They are joining with those devices the market purely to jump along with phone games and make them useable for there suite solution. Which means soonish PS3/NGP/Android/IOS cross over solutions.

Mobile gaming isn't going away. Tons of games are made for mobiles. And even Playstation got asked by google ( android ) to enhance there gaming platform on mobile space suite is there answer.

As mobile games are going to be the feeding point of the NGP casual side, its something that they cant simple leave behind. Specially when some games totally require it.

Sony already stated in there GDC presentation with the following exact words:

- Buttons and touch are both really good for certain things
- having both allows for a wide range of options in game design
- use the right interface for the right job

"everything is best for something and worst for something els" ( sony quoted that from Bill Buxton ( microsoft research )

Thread starter #7
I wonder the same thing Chris about the rear touch pad, If all goes well I think that rear touch pad will be awesome and will work great for a lot of games, like the game Uncharted they showed using the rear touch pad, Very neat stuff!:)

Besides gaming, i think menu navigation and web browsing were some of the worst things about the original psp. I think that will be the main use for the front touch screen. I think the back touch screen will be much easier to implement into actual gameplay.

Mikaru

Don't forget, the DS' touchscreen was one of the reasons why it sold better than the PSP. Touch means more casual games and more "innovation". Now the NGP gets that, so there's less reason for people to buy a 3DS. It's a great move by Sony, and ofcourse one they had to make. The buttons and dual analogs will be there for the intense hardcore games we all know and love and the touch stuff will be used for fun games like Professor Layton and the likes. Win/win situation for Sony!

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements