• Destroy Repeat is the #1 place to talk about Video Games!
  1. Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PSVita NGP - The new IPod touch?

Discussion in 'PlayStation' started by L33tness, Feb 8, 2011.

1. L33tness

L33tness New Member

Will you be willing to pay the price for something that is, at best, a (large) secondary portable device or would you rather get an IPod?

I personally would, considering that I really wanted an IPod touch. Even though I have to carry it with me, along with my smartphone, I think it is well worth it. Most of the games look like you can't play them on the go (something like angry birds you can).

2. extrakiller34

extrakiller34 New Member

I don't recommend playing any game while walking, riding a bike, or driving a car etc. If you not doing that, why not play Killzone on the go?

I dont play angry birds so I cant say if thats a good travel game.

3. nathan james

nathan james Member

well if you want an ipod then get one the 4g is quite nice. I have an ipod touch but i only use it when im at school for the web browser. Once i get my memory stick for my go i gonna sell it and get some much needed games for my psp. If a slimmer profile is what you want but desire a watered down casual gaming experience then get a ipod but if you want a better gaming experience with something that is more powerful than the current ipad, go with the NGP.

4. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

I have an iPod touch but I haven't used it in a while. The games do not compare to games you would find on PSP or the NGP. I like full fledged games that amaze you. Some of the games are fun but they are just addicting fun, not great gameplay fun.

5. cr1ticaltech

cr1ticaltech Member

Best iPhone game is Plants vs. Zombies.

I saw this article on yahoo today...
    http://www.appolicious.com/games/articles/5133-new-verizon-iphone-download-these-games-first
    Never heard of Infinity Blade before, it has impressive visuals.

6. swim5200

swim5200 New Member

Yea, I have to agree with Chris. The iPod touch and NGP aren't comparable. The iPod touch isn't really built for games. It's more of a mp3 player with extra features, while the NGP was built for games.

7. psvitaboy

psvitaboy New Member

i think we'll see some similarites in how the pad is used, but for the most part games that have to rely solely on the touchpad get boring after a while.

8. jacob

jacob Well-Known Member

There are few games which stand the test of time on the iOS. if you want an ipod touch, wait until the 5gen comes out. I currently have the 4gen and while i do not regret buying it, ill admit its games don't really hold me for too long.

9. N3MES1S75

N3MES1S75 Well-Known Member

Is vita the new ipod touch? Let me think about that.... um NO it's not unless the buttons or rear touch pad don't work, of course sony will then charge you double for this feature

10. Aeroflux

Aeroflux Well-Known Member

HELL no. I have the iPhone 4 and used to have the 3G (I use an old iPad I borrowed as well). The life span of an iDevice for gaming is about 1.5 - 2 years. After two years current games start requiring a newer iDevice just_to_run. Vita will have at least 5 years. It will support ALL games released on it.

Apple is going to eat itself with the annual release model...eventually the user base will grow tired of wasting money. I know I am.

11. Luuk.vanRiel

Luuk.vanRiel The Eternal Poster

i hope they do the same as with the psp 1000 where you could just give the power switch a quick hit and the system goes to stand by and when turning it on it returns to the exact state where you left.

12. Luuk.vanRiel

and has extra features that probably be as good as ipod touch since it has 3g and gps options XD

13. Luuk.vanRiel

so wich is best.

14. Aeroflux

Aeroflux Well-Known Member

On an iphone I can navigate rivers with a specialized app...the iphone/ipod is the app store. The Vita has just about everything the iphone does and definitely more power...but the app store is second to none when it comes to utility apps.

15. Doctor Nebula

Doctor Nebula Active Member

I'll still have mine with me along with my soon to be Vita, the iPod Touch's browser is nice.
    But I can see how the Vita and iPod Touch have similar features.

16. tyler

tyler Member

17. Sam

Sam Retired Moderator

I use my touch for music and my iPod dock. The vita is a bit big to carry around like an iPod, isn't it? :D

18. apolloa

apolloa Active Member

The Vita will last longer then the Touch. Game developers are getting into advanced Unreal Engine 3 and the latest Unity games engines with advanced graphics and they won't run on older devices. In 5 years time an iPod Touch won't play the latest high end game, a Vita will still be going strong..

So no, it is not an iPod Touch, it has advanced games, it has mini games, it has physical controls that utterly destroy touch controls, it has a better screen, it has 3G if you want, it is cheap for what you get, it has no competitors, you can only play Gameloft rip offs of Killzone and Unchartered on a Touch.

I have and love an iPhone 4, I will most likely buy the next one, I have lots of games on it, the majority play poorly due to touch controls.
    I see my iPhone primarily as a phone I can install apps on, browse the web, use as a sat nav, use as a camera and video camera.
    My Vita will most likely replace my PS3 for attention of Sony's games! Something Apple will NEVER be able to do.

2 people like this.
  19. Sam

Sam Retired Moderator

And, when new updates come along, previous generations of the iPod/iPhone won't be able to install it. So in 3 or so years time, the iphone 5 will not be able to install new updates. Like the iPhone 3g can't fully install iOs 4.

2 people like this.
  20. apolloa

apolloa Active Member

I forgot about the 3G not being able to run iOS 4. So it has no chance with iOS 5. Apple makes some fantastic products and it's app store showed the way for digital distribution, but as serious games machines they just fail.