• Destroy Repeat is the #1 place to talk about Video Games!
  1. Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PSVita NGP/PS3 Cross play!

Discussion in 'PlayStation' started by AMonte, Feb 28, 2011.

1. AMonte

AMonte Active Member

Speaking to Eurogamer following the unveiling, vice president of Epic Games Mark Rein emphasised the NGP's graphical power.

"This is the kind of machine that a Gears of War-style experience would be appropriate on because it has the control layout that games like that are designed for and can produce some pretty compelling visuals," he said.

"Activision announced Call of Duty for the device so of course a Gears-style game would also be appropriate."

Much has been made of the NGP's graphical horsepower, with some insisting it is capable of producing PlayStation 3 quality visuals.

When asked for his honest assessment of this claim, Rein replied: "This device is certainly in the same class as PlayStation 3. With Unreal Engine 3, we're able to produce some pretty spectacular visuals on this device already, and we're just getting started."

During Sony's press conference Epic founder Tim Sweeney took to the stage to confirm Unreal Engine 3 support for NGP and showed the Epic Citadel iOS tech demo running on the new handheld.

"This is made possible by Sony's multi-core GPU, which is roughly 4x as powerful as any portable we've previously seen," he said.

Sweeney went on to introduce a demo of Trendy Entertainment's UE3-powered Dungeon Defenders, a PC, PSN and XBLA game. Converting from PS3 took a week, apparently.
    Rein went into more detail on the game, and confirmed that PS3/NGP cross-platform play is possible.
    "Dungeon Defenders is essentially a PS3 game brought to NGP," he said. "At CES this year, Trendy showed Dungeon Defenders on a Tegra 2 mobile device playing multiplayer against a PlayStation 3.Trendy told me they're planning to have NGP players playing against PS3 players. So this part is already a reality.

"All they need to add is the ability to save your status in the cloud so you can pick up and play on another device and they're done. That's not a hard problem to solve and I suspect Sony will offer a good solution for that via PSN at some point."

Here's the link:
    http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=123762

NGP truly is the ultimate portable machine.

2 people like this.
  2. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Playing with people on the PS3 as well as carrying on save from the PS3 to the NGP and back are two very important features that will make the NGP awesome. I just hope we see these features used on the majority of ports.

4 people like this.
  3. AMonte

AMonte Active Member

I think it's highly likely that we will see many if not most if not all ports having this feature because of how easy it is to port PS3 games to the NGP. Maybe Sony can even make it mandatory.

4. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Btw I'm going to move this into latest news, since it's a really important article.

5. talhaa

talhaa Active Member

If you can actually play with PS3 people, that would be AWESOME!!

6. fanoulimate

fanoulimate Active Member

My dream finally came true... *orgasm*

2 people like this.
  7. talhaa

talhaa Active Member

Haha right? It is a dream come true to be able to play something like COD or Battlefield on the NGP with PS3 players.

3 people like this.
  8. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

I wonder if this would be backwards compatible with games released that were not intended to be dual platform. Possibly some of the PSN games could be ported easily. Will we see games like Uncharted 2 ported to the NGP?

2 people like this.
  9. fanoulimate

Screw FPS! i wanna see this application in other kind of games., so i can play some fighting games like Street Fighter or BlazBlue on the go against ps3 users!

10. AMonte

AMonte Active Member

This is a hard question I think. Should PS3 exclusives be ported to the NGP? That will make minus one reason why to get a PS3 if you can also get them on NGP. There's also that NGP owners that don't own a PS3 will also own the PS3 exclusives which would make the devs and publishers more money but again that could take away from another potential PS3 owner because they can already own the exclusives on the NGP.

There's the whole start a game on PS3 and continue on NGP and vice-versa. If Sony makes it that the only way to that is to own a copy the game on both PS3 and NGP than I definetly do NOT want PS3 games on NGP. This is something to discuss too. I hope Sony doesn't do it that way, I really hope that it's by transferring the game or copying it (not sure if they both are the same thing but just in case they aren't I put them :)) and another way by remote play, or at least by remote play.

I think the NGP should have more original games, games that are like the original iterations like God of War and MGS for PSP and iterations with different things like Killzone Liberation. Obviously it will have ports like all the multiplatform games, but on the multiplat ports they should have excluve things and usage of the NGP features.

11. talhaa

talhaa Active Member

Hmm.. That would be pretty cool. I'd like to play something like Just Cause 2 or Killzone 3 on it. :D

12. Cheesehunter

Cheesehunter Member

err...i've a general question about ps3/psp ngp games...what's about using the R2 an L2 buttons on the ngp??...you need them for playing ps3 games...

13. AMonte

AMonte Active Member

That's a not a problem. There's many options to this. Right of the mind without thinking about it there's using the touch pad for L2 and R2, the touch screen, and two button presses for example: Square and X or any two button presses.

14. MOFO

MOFO Active Member

The touchpad on the back can be configured to act as virtual buttons, in theory anyway.
    AMonte beat me to it.

15. fanoulimate

i'm pretty sure there is more than 1 game where you must press 2 buttons at the same time. Using the touchpad seems to be the best option.

16. Mikaru

Mikaru Well-Known Member

Did Mark Rein hint at a Gears of War-style game for the NGP? If so.. DO WANT!