• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Learning to Program

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in
I recommend learning VB.NET. Its a VERY basic and simple coding language to make some really cool GUI'S, I've made web browsers, multi-tools etc. So check that out. Then once VB is mastered continue to harder coding languages. (VB also creates your GUI.)

Start off with C# if you intend on just getting started with programming but plan on moving to other languages. VB.NET syntax is nice for people who would have a really hard time understanding *normal* programming syntax because it's all user-keywords over braces and parenthesis, but transitioning to other languages is not as easy coming from a strict VB.NET background. Additionally C# uses the same framework, and is of a similar syntax to many other languages including C, C++, Java, and others.

"Learn programming" - is too generic. Do you intend on developing games? desktop programs? mobile apps? websites? And for anything platform dependent, what platform/architecture?

Clamega

It really depends on each person and like bitm0de said, depends on what you intend to do with the programming language, since each are suitable for different applications. I personally started with Python because it has a very easy syntax and a very convenient IDE for beginners. Then I moved on to C, C++, C#, Java, and the move was almost seamless from Python to these languages, it laid the foundations for me pretty well.

Well when I first got into programming I did BASIC, which is of course, very old. It was then suggested to me to learn python next but I went with C# instead and so far it has not been that much of a challenge to learn. At the end of the day it depends on what kind of application you want to make, for games I would say Python, Java or C# and for windows applications I would go with C++.

If you want to learn the absolute basics of coding with JavaScript right down to syntax, Code Academy is a really great way to start coding with an in-browser IDE and for free. I found the UI very simple to use and I can now confidently say I know a bit of JavaScript after using it. The only problem is, some of the workshops are incredibly specific, and don't allow you to progress unless you do it a certain way.
https://www.codecademy.com/

Alpha

The first programming language I learned was Python through Codecademy. Python is an easy to learn yet powerful language. They only teach you the basic though but you can supplement whatever you learn with free resources online. I'm going to learn Ruby, Java, and Javascript soon because I'm planning to set up my own site early next year.

I think that's pretty hard for all of us people who don't like numbers and logic since it relies heavily on that. I wish I could but I don't think I'm capable, it's just too hard and complicated for me, I would rather pay someone to do it or at least to teach me to see if I can learn someday.

rz3300

I know that everyone says it is never too late for anything and you can do anything that you put your mind to, but I really wish that I would have learned more about computers and programming and coding and things like that when I was younger. Even though I agree there is still time, it would have been a lot easier if I had chosen that path in school. Oh well, maybe someday I will pick it up.

I would love to learn how to program but I was never very good with numbers or logic. I find programming exciting and very lucrative yet I haven't found the way to learn how to do it properly. I don't think that I'll be able to learn in the future even if I wanted to.

It really depends on what programming language you want to learn. Do you want to develop softwares? Then you need to learn c##, java, or python (it also depends on whether you want to programm a mobile app or a PC or Mac software). If you want to create websites, look into css, html, javascript and php, for which I find w3school helpful.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements