• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PSVita Importing PSVITA Compatibility questions

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in
Thread starter #1
Hey All!

I will be vacationing to Japan next week, so naturally I felt that I should take advantage of my time there by purchasing the PSVITA. My question is, would I be able to enjoy the whole hardware when I bring it back here in Canada? Will there be any compatibility issues?

I guess a better question would be, what are the changes that Sony is putting into the PSVITA when it gets released here in February?

Mendax

No one's really sure yet honestly. It's supposed to be region free; so that's a plus. Good luck trying to get one right after it launches though. The Japanese seem to love lining up for the release of basically everything and the first shipment of Vita's could sell out pretty quick.

This is people waiting in line to pre-order Vita:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31835706

I expect launch will be madness.

Thread starter #4
No one's really sure yet honestly. It's supposed to be region free; so that's a plus. Good luck trying to get one right after it launches though. The Japanese seem to love lining up for the release of basically everything and the first shipment of Vita's could sell out pretty quick.

This is people waiting in line to pre-order Vita:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31835706

I expect launch will be madness.
Haha yeah I guess I should of prepared countering all the line up's. I'll be there until late January..so I can only hope haha. Thank you very much for your answer though! Now I have a peace in mind(y)

halljames

If your on holiday till late January, I would just wait till you get back stateside and wait a bit longer. I don't think I could stand having a psp with reversed x and o buttons like my first psp 1000 at release that I imported

Wow, at the Yodobashi in Kichijouji where I preordered the line I was waiting in was almost as long, but they had a roof. Man I'm glad I went there. :D

Also at x and o buttons: You can get used to it. Okay, I may be a bit extreme since I virtually stopped playing any non-japanese game releases almost two years ago, but you get used to it really quickly ... and now I'm always irritated when I have to use the x button to confirm something. Too bad my PS3 is still EU - should have imported that one, too.

And yes, the preorders are sold out, but considering you will be here until late January, Koopop, it should be possible to get a Vita.

(What games do you intend to get at release?)

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
If I where there I would get one for sure. But importing is just too expensive for me so I'll have to wait. But IMO x and o reversed will be a minor issue that is easily overcome. Also I should get the WIFI version since its not sure if you can run 3g at the US with and import.

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
Hey All!

I will be vacationing to Japan next week, so naturally I felt that I should take advantage of my time there by purchasing the PSVITA. My question is, would I be able to enjoy the whole hardware when I bring it back here in Canada? Will there be any compatibility issues?

I guess a better question would be, what are the changes that Sony is putting into the PSVITA when it gets released here in February?
BTW could you do an unboxing or something like that. We would all love to see it being unpacked for the first time :p

Thread starter #9
Wow, at the Yodobashi in Kichijouji where I preordered the line I was waiting in was almost as long, but they had a roof. Man I'm glad I went there. :D

Also at x and o buttons: You can get used to it. Okay, I may be a bit extreme since I virtually stopped playing any non-japanese game releases almost two years ago, but you get used to it really quickly ... and now I'm always irritated when I have to use the x button to confirm something. Too bad my PS3 is still EU - should have imported that one, too.

And yes, the preorders are sold out, but considering you will be here until late January, Koopop, it should be possible to get a Vita.

(What games do you intend to get at release?)
Very excited to hear that my chances are not that slim! Since I spent a portion of my childhood in Japan with the PS1, etc, so I won't have a problem with the x and o switch :).
You know what, I haven't really looked into the game releases just yet...as I was concerned about the device being region free or not. I just checked out the releases on Big Camera, and Disgaea 3 looks pretty awesome! What about yourself? Any recommendations perhaps?

Thread starter #10
BTW could you do an unboxing or something like that. We would all love to see it being unpacked for the first time :p
Definitely going for the WiFi version! My phone runs on 3G so I don't think having another 3G device is that smart;)

Also, if by the time I do pick up a PSVITA, I will try and create my own personal unboxing experience!(Although I am sure YouTube will be filled with it on the day of release =p )

lol

When I was at the point where I had to decide what I want I was like:

"Disgaea 3 it is!!!! ... And ... ehrm ... er ... let's see ... well ..."

Actually I later preordered Lord of Apocalypse and Monster Radar at the store where I preordered the Vita. Some say it would be better to wait for the release of Ragnarok Odyssey instead of buying Lord of Apocalypse because it's supposed to be better, but when I look at the Ragnarok trailer it does not only look too fast for me, but they even promote it's SUPER high speed action as a feature, which really isn' for me. So I went with Lord of Apocalypse. (Which is action too, but it doesn't look like you need 10 years of street fighter training to keep up with the combat pacing like in Ragnarok IMHO.)

Monster Radar of course could be called "Augmented Reality Tamagochi HD Remix" as well and I formerly did not want to have it, but that somehow changed after watching https://commu.jp.playstation.com/blog/details/20111209_monster.html . I'm still not sure whether it's worth my time, but well.... ;)

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
Very excited to hear that my chances are not that slim! Since I spent a portion of my childhood in Japan with the PS1, etc, so I won't have a problem with the x and o switch :).
You know what, I haven't really looked into the game releases just yet...as I was concerned about the device being region free or not. I just checked out the releases on Big Camera, and Disgaea 3 looks pretty awesome! What about yourself? Any recommendations perhaps?
You should definetly get Uncharted Golden Abyss. I dunno if you played the console counterparts but IMO they where the best PS3 exclusives. The Vita version is gonna show of what will be possible with this device. A must buy for me and if I where you I'd get it as well.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements