• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Can my rig run Skyrim smoothly???

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in
Thread starter #1

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
I know there are sites that are specialized on these kinda questions but since I found this community way more trustable and nicer I decided to ask around here.
So can this rig run Skyrim at around 30fps at an above console quality. I prefer higher textures and faster loadtimes from PC but I hate lag.
- AMD Phenom II X4 3.4ghz quad core processor (wich can be overclocked to 3.7ghz)
- 4GB Ram (I suppose DDR3 or something)
- 1.5 terabytes of storage so that won't be a problem.
- Ati Radeon HD 5670 of 1gb VRAM (This is my biggest concern since it is a little outdated and hasn't got a very memory speeds)

I heard my CPU can handle the game easily and I have enough RAM but my biggest concern is the HD 5670. Though it runs all games that use DX9 and even DX10 smooth it can't handle DX11 very well. But I've read that Skyrim relies on DX9/10 so that won't be a problem. I must say this rig handled Crysis at high settings with a few tweaks to particle effects and some lighting changes, very well and even managed to get a steady 25-30 fps. Also I completed Metro 2033 on it with high settings and it handled Oblivion at everything maxed out and kept a steady 50 fps. So I don't think Skyrim will be a problem but I just wanted to make sure I can play it at graphics that are at least significantly better than the console versions. With this game at least 30 fps is required for me.

PS: The main reason for me to play it on PC is the fact I can play in 1920X1080 resolution and also get way better textures than on consoles. It would off course be really nice if I can tweak the settings so I get distant shadows and draw distances that exclude consoles. I hope this can also be achieved when you have some option where you can preload a lot of the stuff.

Well I hope someone responds and also I think everyone can post here asking about his Rig and Skyrim.

Greets Luuk :p

Thread starter #2

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
I just did a Can I run it and it suggested to upgrade my Video card and put in some extra ram. Any thoughts on this???

jacob

Yes it should, but i dont know about maxed settings. The recommended requirements are:
* CPU: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
* RAM: 4 GB
* HDD: 6 GB free disk space
* Graphics: 1 GB Graphics Memory
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9.0c
* Internet for Steam activation

You may need to play with the settings to get your desired results but by this logic it should run fine. Good Luck :D

Mikaru

Your ram is fine, so is your cpu. The game will be very gpu intensive, so I recommend getting a new card. The best bang for your buck I can vouch for is the HD 6870. It won't run the game at ultra settings, but it'll come close. I play Battlefield 3 on High and some options on Ultra with my HD6870 and it runs smooth as butter (50+ fps). I have an AMD Phenom II X4 965 (quad core cpu @ 3.4 Ghz) and 4GB ram, so it's basically alot like yours!

Thread starter #5

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
Thanks for the replies. I guess since next week its my 16th birthday I'm gonna aks my granny for this Vid card :p
I most likely have to put together half of it and since UC3 has just taken its place in my PS3 I'll have to start saving up Vita hard. Might start with decreasing my dr Pepper consumption. Its taking 20+ euro a week.
But I just wanna play Skyrim at nice graphics and decent FPS's.

Thread starter #6

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
Hey guys I have another little question. I must admit I never really put in a Video card and I guess Mikaru (wich has almost the same rig as me could help me out a bit. Is it just a matter of screwing the PC open and connecting the wires from your old Card to the new one???

jacob

Hey guys I have another little question. I must admit I never really put in a Video card and I guess Mikaru (wich has almost the same rig as me could help me out a bit. Is it just a matter of screwing the PC open and connecting the wires from your old Card to the new one???
No. Open up your PC case and depending on your motherboard you can either a) replace the old card with the new one or b) install the new card next to the old one. But you should probably check a few things like power usage and air flow. if your case is small or there is not much room for air to circulate, consider buying a new fan. There pretty cheap and can make a difference.

Thread starter #8

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
No. Open up your PC case and depending on your motherboard you can either a) replace the old card with the new one or b) install the new card next to the old one. But you should probably check a few things like power usage and air flow. if your case is small or there is not much room for air to circulate, consider buying a new fan. There pretty cheap and can make a difference.
I have a Radeon HD 5670 could I crossfire it with the older one???

jacob

Sorry. i don't know :p My knowledge of graphics cards is very limited. From what i cant tell (based on a quick internet search :D ) is that you will need two PCI slots in your motherboard and the board must be SLI compatible. Graphics cards are only Crossfire compatible within their own series.

But i really don't know :p good luck

Thread starter #10

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
Sorry. i don't know :p My knowledge of graphics cards is very limited. From what i cant tell (based on a quick internet search :D ) is that you will need two PCI slots in your motherboard and the board must be SLI compatible. Graphics cards are only Crossfire compatible within their own series.

But i really don't know :p good luck
Guess I just take out the old graphics card and just let the new one do the work on its own :p gonna order it next tuesday :) It can't be too hard to connect it to the motherboard, btw its an MSI motherboard.

jacob

Connecting a new graphics card is very easy, just follow the instruction manual given and do not apply to much force when installing it. Also just in case you don't know, static electricity can be lethal to circuits. So after unplugging the computer from the power, touch something metal to ensure you dont have any static build up.

Chris

I think your card should be fine if you only care for 30 fps and don't care about the best lighting quality, view distance, etc.

I wouldn't recommend crossfiring your card as its better to just avoid any of the issues it can bring. If you want to play it on the highest settings I would get a new card. The Nvidia 560ti and ATI 6850, 6870, and 6950 seem to be great value cards at the time.

Thread starter #13

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
Connecting a new graphics card is very easy, just follow the instruction manual given and do not apply to much force when installing it. Also just in case you don't know, static electricity can be lethal to circuits. So after unplugging the computer from the power, touch something metal to ensure you dont have any static build up.
I'm gonna order it tomorrow or get it from my local electronic shop but I need it before 11-11-11. I'm sure I'll get the job done :)

Thread starter #14

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
I think your card should be fine if you only care for 30 fps and don't care about the best lighting quality, view distance, etc.

I wouldn't recommend crossfiring your card as its better to just avoid any of the issues it can bring. If you want to play it on the highest settings I would get a new card. The Nvidia 560ti and ATI 6850, 6970, and 6950 seem to be great value cards at the time.
Mikaru said the HD 6870 is good value and since It's my b-day in 2 days I just gonna do it since that way I will have a up to date pc again :p

Thread starter #16

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
Why don't you try a demo of this game on your rig?
There won't be a demo of Skyrim and I allready have played Crysis on it and I must say it ran decent at medium to high settings so Skyrim wont be too much of a problem but if I buy a new Videocard I can also run future games for the coming year.

jacob

What type of OS do you have, 32-bit or 64-bit?

If its 64-bit, When you install your graphics card, check what type of RAM you have (ddr2 or ddr3) and if you have spare slots for RAM, computers usually have 2 or 4 slots. Upgrading ram is one of the cheapest ways to improve your system so if you have 2 spare slots, and have some extra cash, buy a cheap set of RAM. Maybe 2x2GB or 2x1GB. You could even pick this up off ebay for cheap and its so easy to install.

If its 32-bit don't worry, more RAM would be pointless :p

Mikaru

The 6970 is also great, but quite a bit more expensive. :p Installing is just a matter of plug and play really. Take out the old card, and gently install the new one. I don't know if your current card requires an additional power connection, but the 6870 does. So I hope your power supply supports that.

Thread starter #20

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
The 6970 is also great, but quite a bit more expensive. :p Installing is just a matter of plug and play really. Take out the old card, and gently install the new one. I don't know if your current card requires an additional power connection, but the 6870 does. So I hope your power supply supports that.
I hope so too :( would be a shame if my motherboard doesn't but I guess it does.
How is the motherboards power connector called that connects to the Vid card? Because I could find out if its on my motherboard :)

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements