• Destroy Repeat is the #1 place to talk about Video Games!
  1. Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PSVita Announced Hardware

Discussion in 'PlayStation' started by Chris, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Now available here.
    (Source)

3 people like this.
  2. extrakiller34

extrakiller34 New Member

Looks like a lot of goodies snuck into a small device. GPS??? 3G? Sounds like its everything a smartphone is but more powerful and without phone calling capabilities.

3 people like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

The 3g is apparently going to have a monthly fee. I do not think it will be a popular option since most people would rather have a smartphone with 3g than a video game system with 3g.

3 people like this.
  4. AMonte

AMonte Active Member

I would rather have the NGP also have phone cabalities because it already has everything a smartphone can do AND it's an actual gaming device, from the most casual to the most hardcore. so it would be everything in one. And I would rather carry one device than two.

5. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

I guess I can see that. Would you use a bluetooth headset or hold it up to the side of your head?

2 people like this.
  6. AMonte

AMonte Active Member

Hold it up to the side of my head, but the NGP having phone capabilities should and I believe would only happen if the NGP is a slide when it releases. It being a slide would make holding it up to the side of your head just as comfortable as holding any phone. Now if when the NGP releases it's how it was when they showed it in Tokyo, than holding to the side of your head is a different story.

7. Crysus

Crysus New Member

i would definately go with the headset, best with voice activation, so you could e.g. leave the ngp in you backpack and still comfortably answer or make calls

2 people like this.
  8. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

This is the only way I can imagine it happening. I can't imagine Sony changing their design anywhere in the near future because the device is just too complicated and the slide design adds a whole new layer of complexity, for example, I can't think of a slideable version that would have the same quality analog sticks, or have the same touch features.

9. AMonte

AMonte Active Member

The analog sticks being the way they were in Tokyo doesn't have anything to do wether it can be a slide or not. Do you really think it's not possible to make the NGP a slide with the current analog sticks? Look at the technology now, look how advanced we are, the NGP being a slide with the analog sticks that were shown is definetly possible, there isn't anything that can't be done for the NGP to be a slide. Also, something that should be noted is that the NGP was originally a slide, but they changed it to a non slide because it had overheating issues, and Sony didn't want to unveil and have people play it in Tokyo with the chance of it overheating. Also, what was shown in Tokyo was just a prototype model, the final planned design could still be a slide, and even if it's not, if there enough demand than it could definetly happen.

On the touch controls, I did want to edit some of what I posted because if the NGP is a slide, and the rear touch pad is just on the bottom half, than that means that games that use the rear touch pad can't do a rear pad/touch screen combo (like seen in Little Deviants), or use the rear pad/touch screen combo and use the D-pad at the same time because the rear pad and face buttons would be at the bottom and the touch screen would be on top so your left hand would be used to use the touch screen and your right hand would be used to use the rear pad and face buttons. That would be complicated, BUT if it isn't possible for any game that uses the rear pad/touch screen combo to also use the D-pad or face buttons, that making it a slide wouldn't be a problem becase when ever you are going to play a game that uses the rear pad/touch screen combo you would play that game with the NGP without sliding it down.

Something that could also be done if the NGP is a slide, is that there would be 2 rear pads on the NGP, one on the back of the top part (on the back of the screen), and one on the back of the bottom half. The rear pad on the back of the top part (screen) would be used when ever you are playing games that uses the rear pad/touch screen combo and also use the D-pad and face buttons at the same time. And the rear pad on the back of the bottom part would be used when you are playing games that don't need the NGP to slide down, which means games that don't need the D-pad or face buttons.

Since the NGP was first unveiled, the first and main reason why I wanted it to be a slide because of the size of the model that was shown in Tokyo, the NGP being a slide would make it significantly smaller and could fit in your pocket comfortably, and makes it more portable and more take-it-anywhere friendly. Than, shortly after that, I thought another important reason why it should be a slide is because if the NGP is a slide, when it's in the it's non-slide down form, it would look and be like a smartphone, so all the smartphone type games would be able to be played just like on a smartphone and even with similar size. That would attract all the smartphone gamers even MORE to the NGP. Another reason why I wanted it to be a slide is because of the analog sticks sticking out as much as they were in Tokyo, so that would make it even harder for the NGP to fit comfortably in your pocket, and not even just comfortably, but to able to fit in your pocket at all. But that can easily be fixed with a simple "push the analog sticks down" when you are going to store it in your pocket, or case, or sleeve, etc. The last reason, is for a higher possiblity for the NGP to have phone capabilities, while I didn't WANT it to have phone cabalities, realizing that I would have a phone in one pocket and my NGP in another, and the NGP can do everything a smartphone can. It's like having an iPod Touch in one pocket and having an iPhone in the other, the only difference between the two the iPhone's phone capabilities.

10. VITA_OWNER

VITA_OWNER Well-Known Member

no i want them to keep that beautiful design

7 people like this.
  11. talhaa

talhaa Active Member

The only downside in the NGP I see is the size of it. It's 7 inches! I'm not sure I'd like to carry that around with me.

12. AMonte

AMonte Active Member

The size discussions have already been settled, the NGP is not too big, it's acually perfect size. And when you see the screen and remember the fact that there's TWO analog sticks, the size will even more be perfect to you.

5 people like this.
  13. talhaa

talhaa Active Member

That is true, but I travel a lot during the summer and wear shorts. I'm not sure i'll be able to put it in my pocket without falling out :/. Ah well, either way, I'll still buy it. I respect your opinion on the size though.

14. fanoulimate

fanoulimate Active Member

i think is just 2cm bigger than the psp (2000-3000). anyways i'm not worried about the size, but about those analog sticks...

2 people like this.
  15. AMonte

AMonte Active Member

:eek: what about them?

16. talhaa

talhaa Active Member

Yeah I guess it's not that big of a deal.

17. fanoulimate

j-just look at them!

[​IMG]

18. AMonte

AMonte Active Member

That they stick out?

19. fanoulimate

i think my pocket is gonna hate them

20. AMonte

AMonte Active Member

They barely stick out. I was worried about it too at first, but than I was shown here on this site that they barely stick out. The sticks won't be a problem for pockets, if there's anything that might not be pocket friendly, I would say is it's overall size.

7 people like this.