• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

What Capcom is trying to do with Mega Man 9. My take.

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
When Mega Man 9 was announced, I was estatic. I was happy.

I love Mega Man to death, anyone that knows me. Know this.

But the minute the company employees started talking about the game, about its direction. That direction was to be putting Mega Man 9 in all of the 8bit glory.

It surprised the industry like no company has done since, I donno. Those franchise revivals, those triumphant mascot returns, and favorites' returns.

I reserved my judgement until I play the game. Thing is, this isn't the Mega Man 9 we've been waiting for since 1997. Oh, I understand that Capcom is celebrating the 20th anniversary of Mega Man. And they plan on honoring it.

But Carlos! Its 8bit in the Next Generation gaming world. This is fucking 2008! Wake up! Geez, chill out, man. It just so happens that I have a back catalogue of NES carts in my disposal. I ran through most of the games in my collection, asking myself this question: What made 8bit so....enchanting?

What am I looking for?

The reason why I started gaming, was because I enjoy the challenge. It wasn't all graphics back then. And even today, its nostalgic. The reason why I dived harder into the industry with passion. The harder the games get, the more I want to play.

I think that after re-playing the Mega Man games, ESPECIALLY the most sought after game of its series of games. Mega Man 2. I have found not just one answer. Many, in fact. The first one is obviously the difficulty [and the lack of thereof]. Mega Man 2 was easy once you know how to get around the levels. How to defeat the bosses. For me, it was easier, thanks to the Nintendo Advantage stick.

The other reason why Mega Man works on 8bit. Charm. You heard me. You don't need all this graphics in order for Mega Man 9 to look good. Guess what, for what's its worth. It actually looks good for its time. Just like Ninja Gaiden did for NES back in those days. Mega Man 2 was the first time that I saw that clever sprite-work done in Heat Man's stage. Yeah, that 3D-looking background? Nice touch.

I guess I need to make a point here. I think we've ALL forgotten what gaming is about. Today, we have a market plattered with hundreds of FPS'es on the market, like Call of Duty 4, which happens to be PSN and XBL's most played game online. On top of that, while we've progressed further in the technology spector. We've taken cartoons to its backseats. Companies and consumers aren't communicating anymore.

There isn't any breathing room for exploring new things, new franchises. The mainstream isn't responding to cartoons today because they suck. But what's worse is that there isn't motivation for creating new things, if people stop watching cartoons today, then there isn't a future for "family-oriented" games, or party games for that matter. The only reason that Microsoft and Nintendo are pushing that envelope is because they want to breath new life into their respective consoles.

Companies today are taking the safe "tried and true" tactics. They go for the generic, "oh, me too!" approach to gaming. That's why the current dominance by FPS'es, is equal to the past's Action dominance. We don't even have freakin' mascots anymore to define a console. No. Sonic is dead as we know it. It'll just become another franchise.

The only reason why Mario STILL exists today, is because parents will eat it up, their kids will eat it up the day its announced, released in stores.

As much as I would love nothing more than for Capcom to take Mega Man 9 and spin it into a giantic 2D sequel. I can see that going back to 8bit will just garner more attention than its worth. If there's one game that can capture a media frenzy right now, its Mega Man 9. Why is everyone talking about it? When Virtual Console is on the market, when Microsoft is allowing retro titles.

Tell you why. Its a brand new game, a brand new, from the ground up retro title. Not a backcatalogue game. The fact that its going backwards than forward, is causing much talk. This is something Capcom needed for a while now. On the other hand: The game industry must take notice of Mega Man 9, and realize its message.

Its message is that companies FORGOT about what their respective companies came into this industry for. Additionally, they forgot how important brand loyalty really is. They all forgot what makes a high-quality game shine. MGS4 did just that, and its a message for gamers and companies alike. Companies need to start thinking about the consumers of their games. Do they want an easy game like Mario easy, or Call of Duty 4 complex and hard? Companies are starting to create community sites other than their company stores/profiles. If they want to know these questions, they need to be active on the company board, blog, or e-mail. They also need to go to public boards, and I mean, BIG boards.

The bottom line is, Capcom wants to garner attention from everyone, not just kids, not just former mega man fans, not just current fans of the series, they want everyone. Most people want simplistic games. And Mega Man is familiar enough to pull that off.

This article is a copyright of CarlosX360 Co. Ltd., any use of this article without the author's permission is liable for a lawsuit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Carlos Official Thread Capcom Beat ‘Em Up Bundle General Gaming 1
Carlos Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 is now available on PS4 Marvel vs. Capcom 0
Carlos Official Thread Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite General Gaming 5
Carlos Tour of Capcom's E3 2015 booth Gaming News 0
Shampoo XIII Capcom Wants a Game to Sell 2 Million Copies Before It Gets a Sequel General Gaming 5
Shampoo XIII Square Enix, Capcom PlayStation Store Sales Start Today in North America (Update) PlayStation 4
akhi216 Capcom files lawsuit against Koei-Tecmo for alleged patent infringement General Gaming 5
Shampoo XIII (Rumor) Capcom Working on Resident Evil 2 HD. Slated for September 2015 Release Date General Gaming 0
Bangcat CAPCOM STOCK BUYOUT COMING General Gaming 0
Trent Marvel vs Capcom 2 and UMvC3 getting Pulled from PSN and XBL PlayStation 12
3VOLVE A normal Day @ Capcom General Gaming 6
Carlos Capcom only has 125 million in the bank General Gaming 0
Josuey_de_PR Capcom only has 152 million in the bank General Gaming 48
Batman PS4 Deep Down *PS4 exclusive from Capcom PlayStation 18
Mehssi Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 - Non Quitters List PlayStation 5
J PSVita Marvel vs CAPCOM 3 HELP.. PlayStation 5
Vandal Skateboards Please make Burnout, Capcom Classics & PEPSI MAN for my VITA! Off Topic Lounge 4
FC_Milky PSVita Dead or Alive 5 + or Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3? PlayStation 87
sergio reyes mis videos grabados de ultimate marvel vs capcom 3 en xbox live Marvel vs. Capcom 0
sergio reyes marvel vs capcom los combos de fer Marvel vs. Capcom 0
CoolDust Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 - £14.99 @ Zavvi Deals and Trading 5
nkkstokes PSVita Is Marvel Vs Capcom Origins on Ps Vita?! PlayStation 1
Carlos Demo of Marvel vs Capcom Origins on Launch Day Marvel vs. Capcom 0
Carlos Marvel vs Capcom Origins now available on PSN and XBLA Marvel vs. Capcom 0
Justinchi New Capcom Title "Remember Me" PlayStation 27
Yuuki PSVita Famitsu promised a astonishing exlusive announcememt from capcom PlayStation 140
Ace Selling: Wipeout and Marvel Vs Capcom 3 Deals and Trading 0
3VOLVE Doesn Capcom feel threatened or are they competitive? PlayStation 29
Murphy [PSVita] Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 Review (TVL) Game Reviews 31
3VOLVE PSVita Capcom won't invest in Vita...yet PlayStation 113
Carlos Marvel Vs Capcom Origins coming to PSN and XBL this fall Marvel vs. Capcom 0
ThisIsChwy Marvel vs. Capcom Origins Announced Gaming News 4
BeMore PSVita Aw come on Capcom PlayStation 3
Yanikun Capcom's "E.X. Troopers" [3DS/PS3] - 3DS gameplay footage General Gaming 2
XthemastaX Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 on Amazon for $29.99 Deals and Trading 0
Inoperable Brain Tumor FT: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 Deals and Trading 7
Patthestar45 PSN Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom Clan Discussion 4
Carlos Marvel Vs Capcom 2 now out for iOS devices Marvel vs. Capcom 0
Carlos Marvel Vs. Capcom 2's I Wanna Take You for a Ride Marvel vs. Capcom 0
neto333 PSVita marvel vs capcom 3 PlayStation 4
VitaMaster PSVita Ultimate Marvel vs capcom PlayStation 2
3VOLVE PSVita Did Namco make a Capcom mistake? PlayStation 11
slimingcheese PSVita Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3X Revealed! PlayStation 4
P PSVita MARVEL VS CAPCOM PlayStation 1
Chamoo81 [PSVita] Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 Review Game Reviews 22
syn13 PSVita Fighters' Compendium: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom VS Blazblue: Continuum Shift Extend VS Mortal Kombat PlayStation 37
C PSVita marvel vs capcom help PlayStation 7
DestroyRepeat WTT: Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 for something else Deals and Trading 7
F PSVita Vita Marvel vs Capcom 3 DLC Delay Explained, Rescheduled PlayStation 14
s1xt6en PSVita Vita Marvel vs Capcom 3 DLC Delay Explained, Rescheduled PlayStation 3