• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Retro Gamer/Nintendo fan new to Vita

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

TheRetroRampager

Hey guys, Graydon here
I used to own psp and I currently have a ps1 and ps2 but am new to current gen Ps!
I am a retro game collector with a buying problem (250 games)
I haven't bought my Vita yet but once I have enough money it will be mine, already own a 3ds
Recommend some games for me, I enjoy RPG's, hunters (mh), pokemon (obv not on playstation), racing games, platformers. Mainly Rpgs though

Lord Phelan

Retro game collector?

Than are you sure that you want to buy PSV and not... hmmm.... Super Famicom, Sega Saturn or Super Nintendo instead? Or do you want handheld?

I can't really think of anything that would have retro~ish feeling on Vita. Well there are many retro indies but you can play majority of them on mobile phones and PCs, apart from that.... hmmm....

Well there is Demon Gaze which is somewhat similar to old Wizardry, The Eye of Beholder, Might & Magic... though it is western game mechanic with japanese plot - you will like it or hate it

What else... retro retro retro.... hmmm..... nothing really strikes me as a retro~ish game

Oh no wait... there is just released Grim Fandango and Duke Nukem remaster. But if you are retro game collector your probably played those right? There is also Citizens of Earth which aspire to be somewhat spiritual successor of Earthbound (probably you know this game, right?) Though it is released on every platform.

As for RPG there is quite a lot of them
-FF X <- remaster... though you can play it even on PS3 and soon on PS4
-Persona 4G <- remaster
-Tales of Hearts R <- nicely done 3DS remake
-Demon Gaze
-Ys: Memories of Calceta
-Disgaea 3-4 <- though you can play those on PS3
-Atelier games <- though you can play those on PS3 / on vita as digital only
-Sword Art Online <- though digital only
-Child of Lights <- great game though you can play it on everything else
-Hyperdimention Neptunia <- though you can play those on PS3
-Mind:0 <- avoid till you played all the rest
-Conception 2 <- rather avoid till you played all the rest
-Natural Doctrine <- though you can also play it on PS3 and PS4
-Dungeon Hunter: Alliance <- though avoid at all cost
-Valhalla Knights <- you can skip it without thinking twice

Also bunch of games from NISA, those are nice if you don't expect too much.

As for Monster Hunter~ish games
-Freedom Wars <- great game, though it has its own problems
-Soul Sacrifice Delta <- digital only
-Toukiden <- though you will be able to play it soon on PS4
-God Eater 2 (not released yet) <- though you will be able to play it soon on PS4

(still writing, posted by mistake)

Pokemon alike? Nothing really....
If we will have luck maybe we will get Digimon: Cyber Sleuth

Racing....
Wipeout and Table Top Racing... there is also 2 other games, but I don't really feel like recomending those.

Fighthing games....
-Blazblue 1st part and sequel (sequel not for EU)
-Dengenki Bunko (digital only for EU)

hmmm.... what else.... dunnoo...

You really need to check all the games and see for yourself whether you like enough games to make buying Vita worth it. Don't make mistake, I love Vita, I really do! But it really depends on whether you will find enough content to make it worth it. Many of us did.

TheRetroRampager

Retro game collector?

Than are you sure that you want to buy PSV and not... hmmm.... Super Famicom, Sega Saturn or Super Nintendo instead? Or do you want handheld?

I can't really think of anything that would have retro~ish feeling on Vita. Well there are many retro indies but you can play majority of them on mobile phones and PCs, apart from that.... hmmm....

Well there is Demon Gaze which is somewhat similar to old Wizardry, The Eye of Beholder, Might & Magic... though it is western game mechanic with japanese plot - you will like it or hate it

What else... retro retro retro.... hmmm..... nothing really strikes me as a retro~ish game

Oh no wait... there is just released Grim Fandango and Duke Nukem remaster. But if you are retro game collector your probably played those right? There is also Citizens of Earth which aspire to be somewhat spiritual successor of Earthbound (probably you know this game, right?) Though it is released on every platform.

As for RPG there is quite a lot of them
-FF X <- remaster... though you can play it even on PS3 and soon on PS4
-Persona 4G <- remaster
-Tales of Hearts R <- nicely done 3DS remake
-Demon Gaze
-Ys: Memories of Calceta
-Disgaea 3-4 <- though you can play those on PS3
-Atelier games <- though you can play those on PS3 / on vita as digital only
-Sword Art Online <- though digital only
-Child of Lights <- great game though you can play it on everything else
-Hyperdimention Neptunia <- though you can play those on PS3
-Mind:0 <- avoid till you played all the rest
-Conception 2 <- rather avoid till you played all the rest
-Natural Doctrine <- though you can also play it on PS3 and PS4
-Dungeon Hunter: Alliance <- though avoid at all cost
-Valhalla Knights <- you can skip it without thinking twice

Also bunch of games from NISA, those are nice if you don't expect too much.

As for Monster Hunter~ish games
-Freedom Wars <- great game, though it has its own problems
-Soul Sacrifice Delta <- digital only
-Toukiden <- though you will be able to play it soon on PS4
-God Eater 2 (not released yet) <- though you will be able to play it soon on PS4

(still writing, posted by mistake)

Pokemon alike? Nothing really....
If we will have luck maybe we will get Digimon: Cyber Sleuth

Racing....
Wipeout and Table Top Racing... there is also 2 other games, but I don't really feel like recomending those.

Fighthing games....
-Blazblue 1st part and sequel (sequel not for EU)
-Dengenki Bunko (digital only for EU)

hmmm.... what else.... dunnoo...

You really need to check all the games and see for yourself whether you like enough games to make buying Vita worth it. Don't make mistake, I love Vita, I really do! But it really depends on whether you will find enough content to make it worth it. Many of us did.
Already own at least 12 old consoles I still own Xbox One, Wii u, 3ds and soon PSV. I play it all. All the indie games remind me of old games and they are portable too

Lord Phelan

Also I am in Canada. Yeah i do know Earthbound wish I could afford stuff like that ahha

My brother got lucky and managed to buy it for.... dum..... dum... dum.....dum (snare drumsl) for around 20-30$ on local site similar to eBay. Someone didn't know value of game, can you believe it?! (of course it is cartridge alone)

Man I will tell you... I HATE THIS GAME... it is one of those overhyped games that became legends just because they are hard to get. Well it is just my opinion, but whenever I see those battle backgrounds with weird images dancing on the screen... and hear that utterly bad music.... gosh my eyes gets blooodshots. On the other hand my brother loves it, and like to torture me with its music whenever I visit him :p

But yeah it is definitly matter of opinions, I'm not saying that game is bad or anything... it is worth playing... but I just don't like it :p

Welll if you like indies and you don't play those on PC than VIta is definitly place for you.

And man.... I AM envious about those 12 consoles. I am PlayStation fan so I never got Xbox and Wii systems...but I am tempted to buy either Saturn or Famicom.

TheRetroRampager

Well games have definately had a lot of time to improve since the early nineties ofc. Would like to see a new Mother game for 3ds or Vita. It generally is cheap at least over here to buy old consoles. Just try some yard sales or flea markets and you can usually get some good deals

Lord Phelan

Well games have definately had a lot of time to improve since the early nineties ofc. Would like to see a new Mother game for 3ds or Vita. It generally is cheap at least over here to buy old consoles. Just try some yard sales or flea markets and you can usually get some good deals

That could be interesting. Now that I look at it, both companies which were developers for Mother 2 stille exist (Creatures and Hal Laboratory). Even better 2 of them are working for Nintendo, Creatures works on pokemon spin-offs games and Hal is well known from example... Kirby or Super Smash Bros. So yeah, both are alive and kicking.

Mother 4 would be entirely possible, but only as a 3DS exclusive (but that's not a bad thing) they are too close to Nintendo to release games on Vita.

I wouldn't even be suprised if one day on Nintendo Direct they would just ignite megaton and said that Mother 4 is coming to Wii U. It could be definitly interesting idea.

TheRetroRampager

That could be interesting. Now that I look at it, both companies which were developers for Mother 2 stille exist (Creatures and Hal Laboratory). Even better 2 of them are working for Nintendo, Creatures works on pokemon spin-offs games and Hal is well known from example... Kirby or Super Smash Bros. So yeah, both are alive and kicking.

Mother 4 would be entirely possible, but only as a 3DS exclusive (but that's not a bad thing) they are too close to Nintendo to release games on Vita.

I wouldn't even be suprised if one day on Nintendo Direct they would just ignite megaton and said that Mother 4 is coming to Wii U. It could be definitly interesting idea.
New Megaman and Mother 4 would be the greatest Nintendo direct Imo. Megaman could also go to Vita as it has been on Playstation a lot. Yeah I know they are quite close to Nintendo at hal and Creatures. Sakura seems to do what he wants though

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements