• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

[PSVITA] A Vita2k review from a 2 month old customer.

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

PapaNer

I'd like to preface this review and say that I did buy a PSP when it came out, and I was done with it in about a month, and that I had no interest in the Vita until the BL2 bundle came out, which is what I got.

I have had the Vita for about 2-2 1/2 months, this is what I can tell you from a completely new-to-this-handheld owner.

The V2K is super slim, and it fits nicely in my pocket (however, I'm 6'6 and so my pockets are pretty big, I don't see it fitting in any others so easily..). The screen is big and nice and the touch on front and back is very responsive. I don't feel like I'm pushing into the screen at all and that, for whatever reason, is a big deal to me. The button placement is nice and natural and I have no issues getting to any of them or miss-pressing. It came with a 8gig memory card, which is nice because I was able to fit the 5GB of BL2 on there, along with the free games of the month through PS+. ALSO: PS+ for the Vita is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than PS+ for the PS4 so far, imo. It's to be expected, but I'm happy about it, actually makes you want to play a ton of indie games. The headphone jack and all slots/plug-ins feel natural and aren't oddly placed. I do wish I had bought a screen protector, as it is very much susceptible to smudges. Overall, neater to me than the 3DSXL, which I owned for about 2 years (this includes regular 3ds).

So now that I've explained what I feel about the console itself, I want to give pros and cons, as I feel that will help out people considering the V2K. Please understand that I will be speaking about it as someone who is TOTALLY new to the newer PS family. I bought a PS4, and then the Vita2K.

PROS:
  • Coming into a handheld this late in the game means a VAST library to get into. I have 4 physical titles and have downloaded a LOT of digital ones. There are still literally over 50 games I still want to play that is playable without "breaking into" the system.
  • The ability to download and play PSP and PS1 games is invaluable. Literally able to get my nostalgia on with the FF series and all the games I used to play when I was a wee lad. I always have something to look forward to when I finish a game.
  • If you are new to Sony pretty much, Trophies are an AMAZING reward system. You have an actual gamer level and I have never felt this level of accomplishment with a gaming system. I used to be a diehard XBOX fan, but after the feeling of earning trophies, I could care less about Gamerscore.
  • In respect to the Nintendo world, PSN offers WAAAAAAAAAAY more things than the Nintendo store, and the amount of free games you are able to download is VAST, and most are actually very fun. I feel that you get SO MUCH out of PS+ that you are UNDERPAYING for the service.
  • Graphically, a lot of these games are incredible. I don't really care so much about graphics if a game is fun, but it definitely makes the experience better.
  • The customization of your Vita screens is awesome, and making your own backgrounds with slots for games is pretty much amazing. It's that extra "umph" that most people don't even know they want.
  • The multiplayer functions work pretty awesome! I don't have issues with anything (but I do have good internet, which tells me the console is solid).
  • The ability to play PS3/4 games on the handheld if the TV is in use is pretty good! Not really a necessity, but a very worthwhile function.
  • SALES SALES SALES. Every month (and sometimes a few times a month) PSN puts sales on all kinds of games. This week I picked up DBZ:BOZ for $7.50, my local Gamestop is selling it for $35.00. REALLLLY awesome sales like that happen often.
  • The console is Region free, so you can play imported cartridges without having to do ANYTHING, and if you wish to use a foreign PSN, you have the option of making a PSN account with them. Nothing transfers for accounts, but this is unheard of. You don't have to buy a foreign system to experience foreign games.
  • I spend a lot of time with Microsoft and Nintendo, and I LOVED them, but none of that compares to the amount of fun I'm having with the Sony family. The Vita is a remarkable console. You will see, especially on this forum, a lot of people saying that Sony is screwing over Vita owners, but when you buy a console at launch you run the risk of waiting forever for good things that you want. HOWEVER, they release games VERY often, new ones every month from what I've researched, I think most people just want specific games and specific things to happen. I didn't let that influence my decision, and I'm glad I didn't, because I LOVE my Vita.
CONS:

• The smudge factor is actually a little annoying. I don't like having to wipe the screen all the time, but it's my own fault for not getting screen protectors. I feel that one should have came with the system, but it is fixable.
  • This is a LIGHTWEIGHT system, which took me a while to get used to (because my 3dsXL was HEAVY), but it is super easy on the hands and feels natural. At first it felt a little cheap, but I'm used to it now.
  • There is no L3/R3 buttons, so in games like BL2 you use the back touch pad to melee and sprint. I am used to it, but honestly it is still very unnatural to me.
  • Multiplayer shooters on consoles are very delayed when playing on the Vita screen, which is to be expected, I guess, but I feel that they shouldn't make that an option if the handheld can't stand up to that. I mean, why give the option of a bad experience? I feel those games just shouldn't use this feature.
  • It has done away with the expansion slot, which I feel was for accessories, but since they dropped it off the new console, accessories that would have utilized it are now either not happening, or just won't be compatible with the V2K.
  • The Community is almost half and half. With the 3ds I only had good experiences, but with the Vita, and especially here, you see a LOT of dismay. There are still a lot of good, well informed people that will give it to you straight either way, but you will also read a LOT of flames from users because some game is not coming soon enough.

I want to stress that aside from the XB1, I have owned and played every console, and I am, by all means, a video game enthusiast as opposed to a console/company enthusiast. I feel that if anyone is reading this review to make a decision on buying the console or not, they should read a review that leans more towards a regretful purchase that doesn't seem to be too exaggerated. I am a 2 month old owner of this console, and have been playing it quite often. Not to get my money's worth, but because I have an actual want.

All in all, I am totally happy I jumped on the V2KBL2 bundle. I haven't had this much fun with a console in a long while (and I am including my PS4 in that, Vita is currently WAY more fun). I honestly feel that anyone who is looking to play fun video games would enjoy this system entirely.

PapaNer

*reads thread title*

You are 2 months old??
I honestly looked at it after and considered it looking weird.

However, in the sense of Vita ownership, I'm 2 months old. I'm doing fucking AWESOME for being 2 months. Titties ain't shitty, NOMSAYIN?

benna

All in all, I am totally happy I jumped on the V2KBL2 bundle. I haven't had this much fun with a console in a long while (and I am including my PS4 in that, Vita is currently WAY more fun). I honestly feel that anyone who is looking to play fun video games would enjoy this system entirely.

Thanks for your enthusiasm. I've had my Vita since Launch, and I love it. Best console I've had in the 30+ years of gaming I've had.

You are only starting, but I'm well over 100 games on my Vita and counting. In the last 3 months I've picked up over 10 retail carts, a few digital, and I have a bunch more games coming to add to my collection (dangan 2, SAO, Miku f2, Freedom wars, Oreshika 2, Neptunia rebirth, firefly's diary) that I'm excited for. I'm always adding in Indies like Oddword new n tasty, Swapper, Counterspy, Gravity crash ultra which adds tonnes of variety. I'm also a pinball junkie and the Vita Zen Pinball 2 is perfect for that for quick fun.

Right now, I have enough to play for a few years. I'm going to wait till the PS4 focus subsides and then hopefully more Vita focus will return in a year or so. If nothing else I hope we at least get Gravity Rush 2 and Persona 5 announced for late 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:

PapaNer

Thanks for your enthusiasm. I've had my Vita since Launch, and I love it. Best console I've had in the 30+ years of gaming I've had.

You are only starting, but I'm well over 100 games on my Vita and counting. In the last 3 months I've picked up over 10 retail carts, a few digital, and I have a bunch more games coming to add to my collection (dangan 2, SAO, Miku f2, Freedom wars, Oreshika 2, Neptunia rebirth, firefly's diary) that I'm excited for. I'm always adding in Indies like Oddword new n tasty, Swapper, Counterspy, Gravity crash ultra which adds tonnes of variety. I'm also a pinball junkie and the Vita Zen Pinball 2 is perfect for that for quick fun.

Right now, I have enough to play for a few years. I'm going to wait till the PS4 focus subsides and then hopefully more Vita focus will return in a year or so. If nothing else I hope we at least get Gravity Rush 2 and Persona 5 announced for late 2015.

That's awesome!

I share your mindset towards Persona 5 entirely. I have Gravity Rush, but I haven't played it much yet...everyone seems so into though so I imagine it'll be good :D

These are the type of threads that we should see more of! (y)

Thank you and I concur!

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements