• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

OUYA - The New Android Based Hackable Consle

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Lawking10

The OUYA is a new console which is android based and it's also very easy to hack!

The console is not meant to compete with the Xbox 360/PS3, instead, it's an entirely different platform. The OUYA's main goal is to give independent developers a chance to develop games for the OUYA, and publish them on the OUYA for OUYA players to play them around the world!

The OUYA has recently been listed on kickstarter and reached it's kickstarter goal in just a few hours! They have now made $4 million and counting in just four days with 26 to go! This is what they had to say by the overwhelming amount of money they have had donated to the project in such a short time:

'Do you realize what you've done? You proved consoles aren't dead. You shocked the world. And us!

We are blown away by your support. With your help, we just raised $2 million. And it’s only the first day.

Now we want to blow you away. The biggest thing for us right now: we are working on our stretch goals, what we can do if we raise more money. It might take us a few days to figure that out, and we want your help.'

They are taking suggestions about their stretch goals right now, just send an email to ideas@ouya.tv.

All of their games will be free to try out also, sounds pretty good to me. They will be releasing popular games on the console for you to download such as minecraft and more. Want your favourite games to be on the OUYA? Vote for them by clicking here

The specifications for the console are not to shabby either.

OUYA SPECIFICATIONS:

Tegra3 quad-core processor
1GB RAM
8GB of internal flash storage
HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth LE 4.0
USB 2.0 (one)
Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
Android 4.0

The best thing about the console, is that it will only cost $99 (Around £65/80 EUR)!

According to the kickstarter page, the console itself is set to release around Spring 2013. Not that long of a wait eh?

I personally can't wait for this console to be released. I really do believe it's going to revolutionize gaming consoles, and take them one step further.

And finally, I have some screens for you to feast your eyes on:

attachment.php

- The console itself

attachment.php

- The controller, which includes a 2" touchpad

For the latest updates on the OUYA, be sure to check back on this thread every once in a while.

Monte

It's nice to see someone taking on the established big companies. I'm hoping this is going to give the gaming industry a much needed injection of innovation. For me, the last generation of consoles did very little to move gaming forward into new and creative areas (gimmicky move controllers aside).

Prp777

I can't help but laugh at the name OUYA. It sounds identical to the Spanish word "olla" pronounced "Oh-ya". Which is a cooking pot, Lmao!

BassMan

I can't help but laugh at the name OUYA. It sounds identical to the Spanish word "olla" pronounced "Oh-ya". Which is a cooking pot, Lmao!

Then it is appropriate name as the OUYA is about as useless as a cooking pot when it comes to gaming.

Alan Lund

This will be an amazing system and i cant wait to get my hands on it but it wont stop me still buying the xbox and playstation.

Buramu

Mod Of Steel
I'm not at all interested in the OUYA, but I'm intrigued by all the recent examples of successful crowdfunding through Kickstarter. It's a very appealing way to generate a business case for a startup (not to mention a very direct way to gauge the market and ascertain a first wave of business/customers).

Anything to help get banks out of the equation seems like a positive development to me.

John Kreese

Hopefully it's good.
Regardless, it's become another system in which fanboys can hype and then use to say why it's better than the other ones. So pointless. Why can't they all be fun and have their upsides and downsides?

Alan Lund

Hopefully it's good.
Regardless, it's become another system in which fanboys can hype and then use to say why it's better than the other ones. So pointless. Why can't they all be fun and have their upsides and downsides?
I coudnt see fan boys using it as a leverage as i think it will be more of fun console or a second console for hardcore gamers i could never see it matching playstation and xbox.

Buramu

Mod Of Steel
I coudnt see fan boys using it as a leverage as i think it will be more of fun console or a second console for hardcore gamers i could never see it matching playstation and xbox.

Don't forget the legions of Android fanboys out there who will tout this as proof for Android's superiority over all other systems on the planet.

Alan Lund

Don't forget the legions of Android fanboys out there who will tout this as proof for Android's superiority over all other systems on the planet.

Now that you say it i get were your coming from.
It may be there bragging point but we will just have to see what happens, hopefully it dosent become like the i phone and can be enjoyed by every one.

But the world isnt perfect its like asking for peace ha ha.

Justinchi

Now that you say it i get were your coming from.
It may be there bragging point but we will just have to see what happens, hopefully it dosent become like the i phone and can be enjoyed by every one.

But the world isnt perfect its like asking for peace ha ha.

Good thing about Android is that it's open-sourced no matter who tries to Iphonize it or not. Me being an Android superuser, I'm interested in seeing what possibilities the "hackability" will generate. It'd be nice if you can insert your SIM card and use it as a phone device while gaming.

I wonder if Cyanogen will release a ROM for this, hahaha!

Alan Lund

I dont no much about hacking or developing but i am very open to put new software onto the system aslong as it is open source.
I never even thought of that as a possibility to use it as a phone device aswell. these type of things are why i am excited about it

Justinchi

I dont no much about hacking or developing but i am very open to put new software onto the system aslong as it is open source.
I never even thought of that as a possibility to use it as a phone device aswell. these type of things are why i am excited about it

Yea, this'll be an interesting console...I mean with Android: the possibilities really ARE endless...(No cheesy ad pun intended)

Troy Irving

Copy/Pasted from my reply to an Ouya thread on a different website. As you will see, I am very displeased with Ouya.

It's just an android tablet, without the touch screen, cameras, or motion controls.
My tablet has everything this does, and more. I can hook up controllers to my tablet, hook up my HDMI cable, and oh look, it's Ouya.
And I'm sure you'll be able to rip exclisuve APKs from Ouya like Tekken, edit the build.prop (if you even need to do that) and install them on any android system.
Normally, when I hear open source, I'm all for it. But when they make it out to be this awesome system, and give people the delusion that it is just as powerful as consoles now, that's what annoys me. It's just Android in a box. Big deal.

Justinchi

Copy/Pasted from my reply to an Ouya thread on a different website. As you will see, I am very displeased with Ouya.

It's just an android tablet, without the touch screen, cameras, or motion controls.
My tablet has everything this does, and more. I can hook up controllers to my tablet, hook up my HDMI cable, and oh look, it's Ouya.
And I'm sure you'll be able to rip exclisuve APKs from Ouya like Tekken, edit the build.prop (if you even need to do that) and install them on any android system.
Normally, when I hear open source, I'm all for it. But when they make it out to be this awesome system, and give people the delusion that it is just as powerful as consoles now, that's what annoys me. It's just Android in a box. Big deal.

Ouya never claimed to be as powerful as the other consoles, and people keep repeating that same accusation. It's made to be a console for those who don't wanna to thru all that wiring mumbo jumbo. Now, granted when Xbound HDMI (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1513988) is released, Ouya might just be obsolete, but it's at least innovate for the moment.

Troy Irving

Ouya never claimed to be as powerful as the other consoles, and people keep repeating that same accusation.
They did not directly say it, no, but people are used to hearing console gaming and thinking "Oh, I can play my major titles on this now!"
They say it will have games from major publishers. There is 4, at most, that have agreed to it.
I see a lot of kids out there that get excited for this, get the console, and then as soon as they get games and play them, they will be majorly disappointed.
Get what you want, I'm not going to stop you. But if you want to pay for Android in a box, instead of just getting a powerful tablet which will literally do the exact same things as this "console," more power to you.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements