• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

SeanFury

I can see the venom in your eyes-
Well, I've had this since my birthday (April 14th) and wow. I mean, this has got to be one of the greatest ideas I've seen in a long time (since the Sonic Mega Collection+). Well, it turns out this game includes Megaman games 1-8 and extras. So far, everything is up to par, graphics, sound, it's all an incredible transition since the days of the NES and SNES, but we won't get into that right now. The only problem I've found so far, is the main menu. Sure, it's a great idea, creative, original, but ungodly annoying. For those of you who have yet to play it, I'll sum it up for you. Instead of highlighting diffrent options using your directional pad, you actually control Megaman (X, I believe) and you run back and forth through a 2-D room going into the diffrent options (The first screen is: Start Game, Options, and something else along those lines) and so the suite follows through until you go this way Start Game > New Game > Megaman 1 and then you have to run across the entire room to reach the other Megaman games.

Conviently, for us who suck at figuring at things at games, or for this who just want some cool tips or info, there's an option which allows the use of a Navi which gives you just what I stated. For the NES games, you also get an updated energy meter and subscreen graphics, which basically just look really nice. But if you want those, you need to activate the Navi mode in Options or else it's a no-go. The Xbox version also includes all the specials that got divided between the PS2 and GC (Zing!). Anyway, that's enough details, I don't like giving away a lot or else it ruins the game. I've almost got Mega Man 2 beat, I've beaten all the Robot Masters, and now I'm at Wily's Fortress (which I never knew I had to do!).

Phantom1

Sean Fury said:
Megaman (X, I believe)

No. He looks nothing like X. That's the sprite from Megaman 8 and Megaman and Bass.

I have it on the PS2. Got it when it released. I'm a big fan of the blue bomber and his games, so I had to pick this up. I can't wait for Megaman X anniversary collection later this year or early next year. Whichever.

Venom1

I bought the PS2 version a while back...finally...I had kept saying I was going to, because I love all 6 NES games, and I just had to play 7 and the two fighting games. It was definately worth my money. Only thing I don't like is that I suck at MM8, and beating it is the only way to get the MM anime episode.

ubx51

ABBA Fanboy
Yeah, the nothing. Anyway, I never realized how tough these games are. I remember playing them years ago but I thought with my improved gaming skills, I could beat them. No Dice. Well, it's a nice bonus to get them MegaMan fightin' games anyway.

SeanFury

I can see the venom in your eyes-
Nothing? Yeah, well, there is that nifty secrets section in the games. Which is, as I've read, diffrent in the PS2 and GC versions compared to the Xbox.

ubx51

ABBA Fanboy
Too bad you have to beat certain bosses/ games to get the good stuff. As I said, I suck at these games, so all I got is some music. Yay.

I want to get this game so bad, although I keep hearing that the controls on it are sucky, and not like the original games.

Archangel Sabre

Protoman said:
although I keep hearing that the controls on it are sucky, and not like the original games.
I think the controls were kept the same as in the original games, but I think this is the reason that most people didn't like them. Because jumping/shooting and stuff on the modern consoles tends to be done with a different button from way back then, so people are so used to the modern adjustment, that they can't get used to that button placement, or something like that. What I played of the Mega Man Anniversary on PS2 was easy to control, anyhow.

Ok, my little brother finally rented this game, and I have to say, it's pretty sweet. Only thing is, the whole "save the game on the memory card" renders the whole password system useless. Otherwise, everything is true to the originals (you can even do the little start trick in the original MM :p). EXCEPT FOR THE DANG GCN CONTROLS! I hate it that they switched the A and B buttons like that, SO annoying, took me a while to get used to it since I am so used to the NES style. You would think that since the original games were on the NES that they would get it right. Oh well, nothing is perfect, lets just hope they don't goof anything up with X collection.

Anyhow didn't get a chance to unlock the arcade games yet unfortunately. So does anyone even use that NAVI mode? I think it's just annoying, so I don't use it at all. I like playing the games the regular way.

Venom1

Protoman.EXE said:
So does anyone even use that NAVI mode? I think it's just annoying, so I don't use it at all. I like playing the games the regular way.

I do. Mainly for the remixed music (which I hear was left out of the GCN game) and because it's easier to just hit L1 or R1 instead of pausing every time I want to switch my weapon.

Venom said:
I do. Mainly for the remixed music (which I hear was left out of the GCN game) and because it's easier to just hit L1 or R1 instead of pausing every time I want to switch my weapon.

Actually, I am kinda glad the left the re-mixes out of the GCN version, just for the fact that I love original 8 bit music, and a re-mix has to be really really good for me to like it.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements