• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

I went to Best Busy today and desktop PC's are a dying breed!

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Soulwatcher

Old faithful is giving up the ghost. Its slow loading websites and it's freezing and it's taking a long time to load anything. And I just reformat the PC about two weeks ago. The PC is well over 4 years old and my guess is the hard drive is on the way out. It just sickens me that PC's don't last anymore!

So I went to Best Buy today to look at PC's and there were only and a handful of desktop PC's, 6 to be exact! I found an ASUS with an i5 7400, 8gb of ram and a 1TB hard drive, it's a bare-bones system but I shouldn't have any problems updating the website and playing Minecraft. And that's all I really need because I don't play any other games but Minecraft.

P.S. I had to order it because it was out of stock. And all I needed was another payment when I already don't have any money! :bhow:

overcast

I think it seems like the desktops are only being sold for the gamers and the developers. Rest of the other people have moved to Smartphones, Chromebook and tablet. Because they seem to be good enough for that use. Also the amount of gamers are relatively less compared to others. So desktop and in future laptop would die down. And very less percentage of people are going to use them.

sweetpot81

Desktops are most commonly seen in gameshops here in HK. Everyone is enjoying the benefits of handy gadgets like tablet, chromebook, smartphones, laptops where they could bring anywhere withe almost same usage and offer of PC Desktops.

Mariana

Here the problem is that the branded desktops are just badly built. I don't know why but the people that build them put very weird parts together - such an amazing CPU but 5 years old GPU and so on. That's why most people that do use desktops either build it themselves or order parts and ask the shops to make it for them.

How much was your computer by the way? I am glad that you still managed to get something decent... but the wait is annoying, I agree.

Soulwatcher

Here the problem is that the branded desktops are just badly built. I don't know why but the people that build them put very weird parts together - such an amazing CPU but 5 years old GPU and so on. That's why most people that do use desktops either build it themselves or order parts and ask the shops to make it for them.

How much was your computer by the way? I am glad that you still managed to get something decent... but the wait is annoying, I agree.
It wasn't bad, it was $510, but the problem is I don't have $510. So now I have to finance it and have payments for the next year unless I can somehow pay it off faster. Which I doubt because I am on a fixed income.

P.S. I checked on eBay and should be able to part out my old PC for around $200+. So that will help with the cost of the new PC.

Soulwatcher

Well I got good news, my friend came over and it is only the hard drive going bad on my PC. So I ordered a new hard drive from Newegg and I got a 1tb SATA II Western Digital OEM brand new for $39.99. And I am so happy because:headphones: I didn't have the money for a new PC. When the new PC comes in at Best Buy I am going to cancel the order and send it back.

Mariana

Well I got good news, my friend came over and its only the hard drive going bad in my PC. So I ordered a new hard drive from newegg and I got a 1tb sata II Western Digital OEM brand new for $39.99. And I am so happy :headphones: because I didn't have the money for a new PC. When the new PC comes in at Best Buy I am going to cancel the order and send it back.
That's actually really great news. You only had to spend like $40 compared to $510.

But that's also why it's great to have close friends that know all about the computers. I am quite fortunate as well because my uncle can easily build PCs and if mine randomly dies he can come and see where's the issue so I don't have buy a brand new one. I am super happy for you :D

Soulwatcher

That's actually really great news. You only had to spend like $40 compared to $510.

But that's also why it's great to have close friends that know all about the computers. I am quite fortunate as well because my uncle can easily build PCs and if mine randomly dies he can come and see where's the issue so I don't have buy a brand new one. I am super happy for you :D
Thank you, because I am super happy too. I don't have $510 to spend on a new pc especially when I am moving in 2 months. My new hard drive comes tomorrow and I will be most grateful when I get the computer fixed.

overcast

Most of the gaming desktops cost a lot. And RAM and the graphic card is a must these days. So I usually stick with the laptop and also changing the type of games I am playing. Gladly the minecraft is not graphics heavy game. So it can be good for me to play the game. I have not much spent onto gaming desktops. But in future If I have money I may add some money into it.

Soulwatcher

The computer is fixed and everything is back to normal. Changing the hard drive was the easiest part. It took me less than 15 minutes to change the hard drive and about 1hr+ to reinstall windows and drives and get all the windows updates. But now that she is fixed she is acting like a new computer. :)

Soulwatcher

I think it seems like the desktops are only being sold for the gamers and the developers. Rest of the other people have moved to Smartphones, Chromebook and tablet. Because they seem to be good enough for that use. Also the amount of gamers are relatively less compared to others. So desktop and in a future laptop would die down. And very less percentage of people are going to use them.
That's true cellphones, tablets are taking place of the computer. Myself I just don't understand it and my wife is a person who uses her cell phone for everything. It's not that I am against it, it just that my eyes are so bad its hard for me to look at such a little screen for too long. I use my computer on a 49* UHD TV and I use that as my computer screen. And its the only way I can use the PC because of my vision and I have a problem with my legs too. :(

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements