• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

I am trying a new webhost, but don't worry this time I have good backups!

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulwatcher

We hardly have any traffic and I keep hitting the limits of the new host daily and there have been some errors where people can't log into the website. So I am trying a new web host. Please let me know if you find any errors.

Thanks
Soulwatcher

overcast

I'd recommend vultr or digital ocean. Only issue there is you need to have some knowledge of the SSH and the VPS serup. Considering the traffic on this site along with your minecraft server. I am guessing VPS servers are perfect for you. Also Vultr VPS plans are good enough for starters like 2.5$ initial plans and then 5$, 10$ onwards depending on the space and bandwidth. And digital ocean is also good but I have not tried it though. All the best in your research for alternative webhost. Keep us updated.

Soulwatcher

I moved the website to Linode and we have

2 GB RAM
1 CPU Core
30 GB SSD Storage
2 TB Transfer
40 Gbps Network In
1000 Mbps Network Ou

And so far so good no problems this time. I took extreme care in setting up the server this time. And hopefully, we won't have any problems. But if we do I am going to have very good backups this time!

overcast

Linode is good. And it's very easy to setup their servers. Also they do help though. I have one friend hosted there. Your configuration looks good. Are you hosting minecraft server on this same instance? I am sure that this configuration is good enough for that setup too. One question though, how did you migrated to linode as in through existing hosts support or through Linode support?

Mariana

I honestly haven't had any issues whatsoever except yesterday, there was a time, I think in the afternoon where I tried to visit the forums and it said that the site is currently unavailable. I am guessing that's when you moved the whole website to the new hosting company? Either way, it fixed itself later on.

I can't really give much advice when it comes to this type of things because I lack the knowledge but I do hope that the new host will fit your needs more :)

Soulwatcher

Linode is good. And it's very easy to setup their servers. Also they do help though. I have one friend hosted there. Your configuration looks good. Are you hosting minecraft server on this same instance? I am sure that this configuration is good enough for that setup too. One question though, how did you migrated to Linode as in through existing hosts support or through Linode support?
I migrated myself, I have been around websites since 1999. And I have owned 4 different web servers. I taught myself about websites and web servers through google and a Linux book that I bought from Barns and Noble in 2003. I even built this website myself, I didn't do the graphics or the software but I did do everything else.

Soulwatcher

I honestly haven't had any issues whatsoever except yesterday, there was a time, I think in the afternoon where I tried to visit the forums and it said that the site is currently unavailable. I am guessing that's when you moved the whole website to the new hosting company? Either way, it fixed itself later on.

I can't really give much advice when it comes to this type of things because I lack the knowledge but I do hope that the new host will fit your needs more :)
Well, pretty much the easiest way to put it is the website went from a regular minivan to a bus with a jet engine lol. We have way more resources, more room and more speed. Which is going to make an overall better viewing experience for everyone.

P.S. I have tried to log onto this website a few with the old host and I was getting errors because too many people were on the website. And that shouldn't happen now unless we get a lot more traffic And now I can resize this website on the fly if we ever get enough traffic to start causing problems again. And your right you couldn't log in the other day because I was moving the website. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements