• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PSVita How do manage your memory?

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Shoobs

Just curious.
I was wondering how you super lovely people manage your Vita memory.
Do you, like me, stick with the 16gb (you got with your Vita purchase).
And manage your memory. Backing up on your PC religously and making space for the next game purchase that comes along.

Or did you outlay the 100 bucks for 64gb and every game you own sits on there, with a hundred bubbles on your Vita's screens.

Or do you have a 4gb, two 8gbs and a 32 all full and your game collection spread amongst the lot. Or even organised. PS mobile on the 4, PS1 games on the 8 etc?

And can a mod please fix my spelling error in the title.

PixelKnot

I do the exact thing as you. I've had my only 16 GB stick since October 2012 and I've been shoving Vita games into my computer and PS3.

Shoobs

I do the exact thing as you. I've had my only 16 GB stick since October 2012 and I've been shoving Vita games into my computer and PS3.
Yep. I just can't justify spending more money on memory. Especially when it's so expensive.
And I can fit 10-15 games on my 16gb (leaving 1gb spare for system/game updates). Plus 8 games in my pouch and 1 in the Vita.
I do not need more than 20-25 games with me at all times. Especially when my Vita rarely leaves home

lights

Yeah same for me, I own a 16GB card and just move games to my PC when I'm done with them.

When I first bought a Vita I used to own a 4GB card, then a 8GB which really were inadequate. 16GB provides just enough space to hold a reasonable number of games.

Yep. I just can't justify spending more money on memory. Especially when it's so expensive.

Yeah I'd rather just spend the money that a 32/64GB card would cost on some games instead.

Brought a 64GB card about 4 months ago. I can safely say it's one of my best Vita purchases to date.

Filled up an 8GB and had a dilemma on what to do. Decided on the 32GB card, but then found a 64GB on sale for only £3 more expensive than the 32. No idea how or why but i snapped it up.

It's great just being able to hit download on a game knowing i don't have to worry about checking file sizes etc. Wednesday was a great example when i purchased both Hotline Miami 2 and Helldivers. Just hit download and let it do it's thing. It wasn't even after that i noticed Helldivers was 1.8GB file size.

TeknoBlast

I first used whatever the system came with at launch. Then later, when I was purchasing more digital games, I purchased the 32GB. Well that one started to get full, so ended up getting the 64GB card, which I think I have around 25-30GB of free space and I've had this for a while now. I still have the 32GB card, but it's being used by the VitaTV. The 8GB that came with the VitaTV is just collecting dust.

BerryAl

I've only got a 16GB one which came with my Vita (bought pre-owned). It's so frustrating though cause there's no way I'm dropping £66.90 on a 64GB card, not even SSDs are that expensive!! You can get a top-of-the-line 64GB Micro SD Card for £22.50 :S Infact, the 128GB Micro SD Card from SanDisk is £64.98, less than the 64GB Vita card!

Shoobs

You're right @BerryAl, Vita memory is flucking expensive! The 1tb on my PC I back up mine too is pretty damn cheap, though
Like I said earlier, I can carry 20-25 games at any one time (between my case and my 16gb)
How could I honestly need to play any more than 25 games at one time?!

I have just bought a 64gb, I have been debating it for weeks now but I have gone for it. One reason so I can get sword art online from ps store as on eBay for a english dubbed copy it's £139

Lord Phelan

I don't

I just rage that I can't fit anything more on 32GB card

I don't like deleting anything from Vita (though sometimes I have to)

Wyt Myk

I eventually broke down and bought a 64gb card. Ive only got 3.5 gb left on it but thats with 40 games on it.

MysticalMaat

I just got a 64GB card myself and loving all the space I have now coming from a 8GB card. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well after two days I have realised that the 64gb is probably the best purchase I have done for the Vita, I have a lot of PS One games downloaded and they take no space at all and a few Vita games. I would definitely recommend one to any of you debating it, I got mine from ebay for £55 and next day delivery. So do you Vitas justice and get some big ass memory!

Stray Feral

Well, that same question I had raised in a different form even before purchasing my Vita. I totally freaked out reading that 32gb are not enough for some people. And keep in mind the fact that my first ever computer was (I skipped the Apple II era) an IBM XT-compatible on 4.77mHz CPU. It came with a monochrome monitor, 84-key keyboard, 1 floppy which could read 360kb (kilobytes!) 5.25" floppy disks and very important (!) I had no hard disk on it! First it was not a big problem but I purchased a 20mb (megabytes!) hard drive a bit later. I used this computer for about 2 full years before jumping on my next machine. At the point when I stopped using it it's important to say that my 20mb hard drive was about 50% full, which is I had 10mb free!!

And not because I didn't had games. Along the other stuff (programs I needed for school, programing tools and other things, it was actually full of games! Just at this time games had a totally different total file size. Actually games which span on more than one floppy disk (which is file size > than 360kb) we called "big". The bigger game I had at this time was Budokan (martial arts tournament game) and it was on 3 disks, which I later managed to fit on 2 disks by deleting unneeded files and using one tricky compression tool which alowed me to format one 360kb floppy disk as 720kb.

Also at this time we had no MP3 and movies and nothing similar to it.

True, my current laptop is nothing like this, but still coming from all this and reading that 32gb are not enough you could imagine what I was thinking.

What I did with my Vita is I still keep my 4gb original card (not sure anyone would buy it) and got directly a 32gb as they are all so expensive. Decided it's not worth the 64gb, neither that day I had the money. However now I think 64gb are the best way.

Most of all however it depends on HOW you use your Vita. My Vita lacked free memory for several reasons not related with the Vita at all.

First I had lots of mp3 which now I deleted. Second I had all Paradise Lost (gothic metal band) music videos on my Vita. These are now moved to my tablet. Then I had all the 3 episodes of Klondike (great only 3 episode movie) from I still keep only the last one, "Zorba the Greek" (excellent movie!!!!) which I still keep, few episodes of "Superman Red Son" and I always used to have few episodes of The Walking Dead. So I had vids which take lots of space. I plan to move my Zorba to my 4gb card now and keep it there. I stopped buying big digital games, got few physical titles and every game/app I don't plan to play further gets deleted.

Oh I totally forgot I use Sony Music Unlimited. So there are downloaded music files about 1-2gb probably. I still cannot figure out how to exactly check this. But Music Unlimited will expire and get removed on March 29th so I will be forced to delete it anyway.

Now I wonder should I go 64gb or not. Still it's lots of money and I am not sure I really want it. Also I still manage to fit my stuff on 32gb. Currently there are about 700mb free and when I will delete all movies there would be about 4 more gigs free. Enough I think. At the moment I limited myself buying only small digitals and all big ones I want I buy phisical when available. Especially they are the better investment as later you could get some cash back upon re-selling.

But still I am not a gamer anyway. I buy only selected titles and rarely another title really grabs me for long. Also I mostly play for an hour or two max in the evenings, about 3 times per week (usually about 20mins) so my style totally differs from most of you. I really have only few titles which really do require me to put a big amount of time playing, I stick mostly to arcades.

So to sum it - for now I still think I am fine with 32gigs. Currently on the edge but still fine. I back nothing on my computer, as I don't really intend to keep.

Budokan:

Budokan.png

This is what I used to start with:

photo-pravetz-16es-1.jpg

lechonbaby

Bought a 64GB and on the look out for another cheap 64GB listing.

I sold the initial 4, grabbed a 16 but was quickly replaced by a 32GB.
I found a cheap 64GB and been working off of that for the last year.
I've still got the 32 but, man, they fill up quick! (PSNAU sales). Heh.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements