• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

First Nintendo game you ever managed to beat?

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

SLTE

I must've rented half of Nintendo's catalogue of games when I was a kid, yet I don't think I ever managed to beat more than a handful of them until I got a bit older and improved my game. There are so many titles I just dropped, either because they were too hard or I just lost interest. A few good ones I managed to trounce, though, and I'm pretty sure that number grew as I aged. Which Nintendo game was the first one you ever managed to beat?

I can't remember exactly which game came first for me, but I'm pretty confident it's a dustup between Super Mario Bros. 2, Mega Man 3, and Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers. I remember fighting and beating the final bosses of all three, at least, though I couldn't tell you which came first.

nusster

I'm pretty sure me and my older cousin were able to beat one of the Super Mario games over the course of one weekend. Pretty sure we played it nonstop.

I think that it was either Ocarina of Time, Link's Awakening or A Link To The Past.
It was a Zelda game for sure :) I was so happy when I managed to finish it, cause I sucked at video games as a kid!
Not being an native English speaker certainly didn't help me.

Clover

I'm pretty sure mine was Pokemon Blue. Beating Lance the Dragon Master and becoming the Champion with my beloved team made me so happy (and addicted to gaming, much to my family's dismay).

While I'd tried other games before (from Nintendo and other game publishers), I tended to suck at a lot of them and never finished them. Finishing Pokemon Blue gave me the drive/patience/skills to finish subsequent games (Nintendo or otherwise).

CemeteryGates23

Games were so tough to beat back then. I spent crazy amounts of time playing NES and SNES with my brother and friends and we only ever managed to beat a handful of games. Probably the first I beat on my own was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time.

G2G

Hmmm, i think the first game should be Contra or a game called "prison escape". 80% chance to be Contra.

Chip 'n Dale...you reminded me of my childhood memory, hehe. I played Chip 'n Dale in a shopping mall, they rent the console around 0.25 usd for 30mins, lol. (0.25 usd was a lot that time in my country, it was 20+ years ago and i was still in primary school!)

SimiWolfie

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. My brother had just gotten it for his birthday, and gave me permission to play it while he was away for the weekend. It took me just under two days to beat it.

Clamega

Pokemon are the only Nintendo games I actually played so far. Pokemon HeartGold was the first one I played and the first one I beat. Took me like 120 hours to catch most legendaries and also beat both regions pokemon leagues.

My first was Kirby's Adventure. It was the first time I had ever seen a Kirby game and once I started I wasn't able to put it down. I think I was 5 or 6 maybe?
It was literally the first game I'd ever played that had an overworld of that kind, where you can just kind of go wherever you want. I would spend hours just floating around

SLTE

PingPongCall said:
My first was Kirby's Adventure. It was the first time I had ever seen a Kirby game and once I started I wasn't able to put it down. I think I was 5 or 6 maybe?
It was literally the first game I'd ever played that had an overworld of that kind, where you can just kind of go wherever you want. I would spend hours just floating around

Kirby games strike me as an excellent place to start for little kids. They're fairly challenging if you stay on the ground and try to speed through, but if you ever get into a bind it's really easy to puff up and float away from danger in most levels. I recall bobbing along the top of the screen most of the first time I played the NES game, and I'm pretty sure I managed to beat it, too.

SLTE said:
Kirby games strike me as an excellent place to start for little kids. They're fairly challenging if you stay on the ground and try to speed through, but if you ever get into a bind it's really easy to puff up and float away from danger in most levels. I recall bobbing along the top of the screen most of the first time I played the NES game, and I'm pretty sure I managed to beat it, too.

Agree with you about Kirby games having perfect level of difficulty... except for the one on GBA, I think that it's called Kirby and the Amazing Mirror.
I started playing it as an adult person and to this day haven't managed to beat... I ALWAYS get lost in all those mirror teleports and end up circling back and forward instead of finding a new level. This game drives me crazy!

Tsuzuko

Super Mario Bros. Not exactly the most unique answer, but it came with my NES and I didn't get really any other games for a while. Still love it to this day. It started my love of platformers.

The first games I got in my NES were Metroid and Adventure Island... Quite hard to beat games. So the first time I beat a NES game, was when I got SMB1, haha, like 2 years later.

AceTy31

The first game that I beat was Super Mario World for SNES. I still play it even though I beat it. It's a fun game. I wish there were more like it. It's one of my favorite games.

aquaticneko

My first completed game had me celebrating so much I got yelled at for being too loud! I'd finally finished with the last dungeon of Super Mario 3. I was so overjoyed, I was excited for days! Games were so innocent then. I actually felt an achievement completing them. Not like most of the games today. That's one of the reasons I really love retro games.

aquaticneko said:
My first completed game had me celebrating so much I got yelled at for being too loud! I'd finally finished with the last dungeon of Super Mario 3. I was so overjoyed, I was excited for days! Games were so innocent then. I actually felt an achievement completing them. Not like most of the games today. That's one of the reasons I really love retro games.

Yep , I totally agree. One of the many good things of retro games is the rewarding feeling when you beat them. No save game in most cases, hard as hell, and some minimalist ending that told you "hey, you're awesome for finishing the game. Go brag about it".

whysewserious

My family used to play the Indiana Jones Last Crusades game on the original Nintendo. We all had different stages we were really good at so it became a great family night activity. That was the first one I ever saw beat to its conclusion, even if it was a team effort.

Super Mario 3 was the first game I ever beat by myself.

Casiox

Oh come on, I still remember the first game I ever played with on my old Nintendo 64, I really loved it even when I do not really remember how it was at all, Ghostbusters was such a great game, I still remember that I used to play it for hours, it basically was one of the best games I ever played with my first console.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements