• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Anyone Else Into Bitcoin

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in

TeknoBlast

Back in July, I started getting into Bitcoin mining. I purchased a Raspberry Pi and R-Box. Just something to start with.

Earlier this week, I purchase an Antminer at a decent price. I now have that set up and mining away.

Just wondering anyone else here mining as well.

JoeCool

Suck the weenie!
Staff member
I don't know how to do it, but I would if I could.
Perhaps you can show me how?

TeknoBlast

There's a lot of information out there that can be overwhelming or even confusing. I have a sort of understanding of it, but it's more of a fun hobby for me.

So at QuakeCon, there was a vendor there selling mining hardware and he was educating people on bitcoin mining. As mention, I purchased a R-Box miner, which is the entry level hardware for around $55-65. I also purchased a Raspberry Pi to run the miner off of. I dont know anything about Linux, but there's tons of info out there that can assist on setting up the miner with the Pi.

At first, I set up the miner with my PC and had that set up running for a few days before the Pi took over.

After a month or so, I only earned about $10 worth of Bitcoin. With the value going up and down, you cant really estimate how much Bitcoin you'll generate.

It's been over a month that I started and just last week, I bought an Antminer S1, which is a bigger device, but can produce more Bitcoin than the RBox. Also, the Ant miner only require a PC to set up...after set up, it can stand alone since it has it's own management web console. Last night I was able to get that going but didnt realize the noise factor it would create.

Like mentioned, it's a fun hobby and not looking to profit. If I stick with my current set up, I may profit in 6 months or so. Again, not looking or expecting to get rich here.

I'll take some pictures later today to show what I have.

JoeCool

Suck the weenie!
Staff member
You have any websites with great info?

I'm rather well educated with Linux so it should be much of a problem for me.
I have a ton of PCs at my disposal so that could be of help to me as well.

TeknoBlast

When I get home, I'll post some links that I use. The Antminer that I just got requires its own atx psu. The r-box uses a power supply that powers up LCD monitors or you can splice a power connector to the 12v of your internal PC psu, which I did to start mining via PC.

TeknoBlast

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements